Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 AM
"Amichai Rotman"

Default Disabling Laptop Mode

Hi All,
*
Is there a way to disable "laptop mode"?
*
I am running Kubuntu 7.10 on an HP DX2300 Desktop and am worried regarding my Harddisk failing due to the frequent access (addressed by another post to the list)
*
I don't have any use for BRLTTY, Infrared, or WiFi on my desktop.
*
I can hear the HDD making clicking sounds from time to time, and it's pretty scary...
*
Any thoughts? Pointers?
*
Thanks!
--
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746
Registered Linux User#: 201192 [http://counter.li.org/
]

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Derek Broughton

Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way to disable "laptop mode"?

Uninstall it...

> I am running Kubuntu 7.10 on an HP DX2300 Desktop and am worried regarding
> my Harddisk failing due to the frequent access (addressed by another post
> to the list)

I don't think there's any evidence that "laptop mode" actually makes that
problem any worse.
--
derek

Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Nils Kassube

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Is there a way to disable "laptop mode"?

If you haven't enabled it yourself, it IS disabled. But that doesn't mean,
your hard drisk is save. After hours of testing I have put the command

/sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

in the file /etc/rc.local (before the line "exit 0") but I can't tell you
if that is enough. There may be other workarounds necessary depending on
your hard disk type.

Nils

Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Thilo Six

Nils Kassube wrote the following on 27.12.2007 17:57

</snip>

> /sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
>
> in the file /etc/rc.local (before the line "exit 0") but I can't tell you
> if that is enough. There may be other workarounds necessary depending on
> your hard disk type.
>

> Nils

Thanks Nils for that hint.

Just a question cause i am courios:
isnīt /etc/hdparm.conf the place for that?

Itīs just currently i am a bit puzzeld how to set it up right.

<-------- /etc/hdparm.conf --------
/dev/sda {
apm = 255
spindown_time = 240
}
------------------------------------>

just in case someone is interested:
regarding "spindown_time" see 'man hdparm' and search for '-S'

TIA
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Nils Kassube

Thilo Six wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote the following on 27.12.2007 17:57
> > /sbin/hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda
> >
> > in the file /etc/rc.local (before the line "exit 0") but I can't tell
> > you if that is enough. There may be other workarounds necessary
> > depending on your hard disk type.
>
> Just a question cause i am courios:
> isnīt /etc/hdparm.conf the place for that?

I have no idea what would be the right place - probably you are right. I
just know that rc.local is a place to add commands which should be run at
boot time.

BTW: As Derek mentioned hibernate in another thread, I checked its effect
on my machine. The result: my hard disk still had the problem of repeated
head unload/load after resume from hibernate. So my workaround works for
me (I don't use hibernate) but others will have to do some more work to
save the hard disk.

Nils