Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
"Ed Mackley"

Default dos command to install ubuntu from cd

New Ubuntu user,
I have xp on a lap. I downloaded Ubuntu and burnt a
bootable cd. I get as far as the dos commands.
I wan't to format c and install ubuntu. all of my
dos commands are bad. I did type d: and it got me to the D drive and
CD.
I tryed format C: , Install , Install ubuntu
,setup, what dos command do I use.
Thanks Ed
*

Old 01-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:10:47 -0500
"Ed Mackley" <emackley@conbrio.net> wrote:

> New Ubuntu user,
> I have xp on a lap. I downloaded Ubuntu and burnt a bootable cd. I
> get as far as the dos commands. I wan't to format c and install
> ubuntu. all of my dos commands are bad. I did type d: and it got me
> to the D drive and CD. I tryed format C: , Install , Install
> ubuntu ,setup, what dos command do I use. Thanks Ed

No dos in linux. If you are planning to erase windows completely, just
set your BIOS to boot from cd. Ubuntu will start up and you will hit
enter on the Install from CD line. After a bit it will ask how you want
to partition the drives. At that point, tell it to use Guided, all of
drive SCSI1 or (0,0,0). That will erase everything on C: and install
Ubuntu.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Paul Sladen

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Ed Mackley wrote:
> I have xp on a lap. I downloaded Ubuntu and burnt a bootable cd. I get as far as the dos commands.

If you've managed to boot Ubuntu from the CD, it's probably not DOS:

What message (exactly) does it say (before you type anything).

If you've downloaded and burnt the Desktop CD you should have a graphical
desktop with menus at the top (Applications Places System).

-Paul
--
Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three. Somewhere, GB.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
James Takac

Hi Paul

On Sunday 25 January 2009 07:26:11 Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Ed Mackley wrote:
> > I have xp on a lap. I downloaded Ubuntu and burnt a bootable cd. I get as
> > far as the dos commands.
>
> If you've managed to boot Ubuntu from the CD, it's probably not DOS:
>
> What message (exactly) does it say (before you type anything).
>
> If you've downloaded and burnt the Desktop CD you should have a graphical
> desktop with menus at the top (Applications Places System).
>
> -Paul
> --
> Why do one side of a triangle when you can do all three. Somewhere, GB.

That D: got him to the D drive suggests he is indeed in DOS, aka a windows DOS
prompt as he was trying to install Ubuntu and hadn't yet booted from the cd
itself. I'm guessing this is his first time trying something like this. So,
Ed, if you're reading head over to

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

and have a read through. It should guide you through all you need to know. My
guess is you just want a standard installation. Also as mentioned, you do
need to be able to boot from the cd to install it. So if you can't boot then
check either your BIOS settings or that you didn't just simply copy the iso
file to cd as that wont boot either. You need to burn it off properly

Hope it helps
James

--
Feel like Christ and you will be a Christ; feel like Buddha and you will be a
Buddha. It is feeling that is the life, the strength, the vitality, without

Swami Vivekananda

Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
steve

James Takac wrote:

> Ed, if you're reading head over to
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
>
> and have a read through. It should guide you through all you need to know. My
> guess is you just want a standard installation. Also as mentioned, you do
> need to be able to boot from the cd to install it.

dont forget about wubi, no need to boot from a cd, nice for
beginners....... http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com