Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 PM
"Don Raikes"

Default live usbkey?

Is there a way to put the gutsy livecd image onto a
usbkey so it can be run/installed from the usbkey?
*
My son has a laptop on which the cd drive is not
working well enough to install gutsy.
It gets a little way into the install process and
just locks up. Our next thought was to install from a usbkey if
possible.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Nils Kassube

Don Raikes wrote:
> Is there a way to put the gutsy livecd image onto a usbkey so it can be
> run/installed from the usbkey?

Yes. Try these links:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB>
<http://www.pendrivelinux.com/>

Nils

Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Don Raikes wrote:
>> Is there a way to put the gutsy livecd image onto a usbkey so it can be
>> run/installed from the usbkey?
>
> Yes. Try these links:
>
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB>
> <http://www.pendrivelinux.com/>

I'd point out, though, that it might be a fair amount of work to no purpose.
When installing from the LiveCD locks up, it's usually because of hardware
incompatibilities, rather than just a faulty CD drive.

You might try to get your hands on an "alternate" install CD, first - I've
heard they sometimes handle some hardware combinations that the liveCD
can't - I can't say I can confirm that, as I've always used the alternates.
--
derek

Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Ryan

I'd recommend trying the alternative cd. The LiveCD tends to lock up
on ATI cards or at least in my experience (dell inspiron e1705 and ibm
laptop)

-Ryan