-   -   synaptec package manager accessibility (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/23287-synaptec-package-manager-accessibility.html)

"Don Raikes" 12-26-2007 10:31 PM

synaptec package manager accessibility

Hello
*
Is ther a way to use synaptec package manager with
orca?
When i launch it, after entering my password, orca
just stops working until I force a reboot of the
system.

Peter Garrett 12-29-2007 07:08 AM

synaptec package manager accessibility

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:31:39 -0700
"Don Raikes" <don@draikes.com> wrote:

> Is ther a way to use synaptec package manager with orca?

I don't know... suggestion follows...

> When i launch it, after entering my password, orca just stops working until I force a reboot of the system.

This isn't the same, I know, but have you tried launching "aptitude"
instead? I have no idea whether that is an improvement from an
accessibility viewpoint, but I thought it might be worth trying.

Personally, I rarely use synaptic, having learnt to use apt-get years ago
while running Debian. If you are willing to read a bit, you might try the
same. You can read about apt and aptitude here:

( roughly in order of thoroughness and detail)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptitudeSurvivalGuide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGetHowto

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

There is also an apt-howto package

sudo apt-get install apt-howto-en && apt-howto

It opens the Debian Howto in your browser ( probably Firefox in Ubuntu -
x-www-browser in Debianese :-)

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net