Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Mike Adolf

Default UDF Mount?

A friend wrote a CD-R from his Vista Machine. It contains digital
photos. When I tried to read it on Ubuntu 7.04, I got the following
message:

"Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'UDF Volume'.'

It mounted OK on my wife's Vista laptop. It would have been nice if the
message said which option was invalid.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

Old 12-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Peter Garrett

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:34:07 -0700
Mike Adolf <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:

> A friend wrote a CD-R from his Vista Machine. It contains digital
> photos. When I tried to read it on Ubuntu 7.04, I got the following
> message:
>
> "Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'UDF Volume'.'
>
> It mounted OK on my wife's Vista laptop. It would have been nice if the
> message said which option was invalid.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried mounting it from a terminal ? For example

sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0

or some other mount point like /mnt

Doing that might give you a more verbose error message. You could also try
first opening a second terminal and running

tail -f /var/log/syslog

to see what output the system gives when you try to mount the device.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 12-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:34:07 -0700
> Mike Adolf <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:
>
>> A friend wrote a CD-R from his Vista Machine. It contains digital
>> photos. When I tried to read it on Ubuntu 7.04, I got the following
>> message:
>>
>> "Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'UDF Volume'.'
>>
>> It mounted OK on my wife's Vista laptop. It would have been nice if the
>> message said which option was invalid.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Have you tried mounting it from a terminal ? For example
>
> sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0

I've had problems with _some_ UDF discs. I was just trying to reload my
wife's WLAN driver for ndiswrapper, and Ubuntu could not mount the disc
(needless to say, after reluctantly booting into windows, I discovered
where I'd unloaded them the last time...).

If I try to mount with konqueror:
Dec 27 11:30:58 bella kernel: [70920.980000] UDF-fs: No fileset found
Dec 27 11:30:59 bella kernel: [70921.260000] Unable to identify CD-ROM
format.

A manual mount:
derek@bella:~$ mkdir /tmp/test
derek@bella:~$ sudo mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /tmp/test
[sudo] password for derek:
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
dmesg | tail or so

I've tried changing the "udf,iso9660" parameter in /etc/fstab to auto (per
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/44233. Note,
that shouldn't be necessary as that particular bug should be fixed but
people are still posting to the bug, because they assume that if the
symptoms look the same, it's the same bug...)

And it always makes a hell of a noise, too!

So, I can't help, I can only commiserate...
--
derek

Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Mike Adolf

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Peter Garrett wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:34:07 -0700
>> Mike Adolf <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:
>>

>>> A friend wrote a CD-R from his Vista Machine. It contains digital
>>> photos. When I tried to read it on Ubuntu 7.04, I got the following
>>> message:
>>>
>>> "Invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'UDF Volume'.'
>>>
>>> It mounted OK on my wife's Vista laptop. It would have been nice if the
>>> message said which option was invalid.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>> Have you tried mounting it from a terminal ? For example
>>
>> sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
>>

> I've had problems with _some_ UDF discs. I was just trying to reload my
> wife's WLAN driver for ndiswrapper, and Ubuntu could not mount the disc
> (needless to say, after reluctantly booting into windows, I discovered
> where I'd unloaded them the last time...).
>
> If I try to mount with konqueror:
> Dec 27 11:30:58 bella kernel: [70920.980000] UDF-fs: No fileset found
> Dec 27 11:30:59 bella kernel: [70921.260000] Unable to identify CD-ROM
> format.
>
> A manual mount:
> derek@bella:~$ mkdir /tmp/test
> derek@bella:~$ sudo mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /tmp/test
> [sudo] password for derek:
> mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>
> I've tried changing the "udf,iso9660" parameter in /etc/fstab to auto (per
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/44233. Note,
> that shouldn't be necessary as that particular bug should be fixed but
> people are still posting to the bug, because they assume that if the
> symptoms look the same, it's the same bug...)
>
> And it always makes a hell of a noise, too!
>
> So, I can't help, I can only commiserate...

I did a manual mount and got the same error msg you got. And to think,
my windose friend said to me as he handed me the disk. "I wrote it so
even Linux can read it!" If he doesn't ask, I won't tell. I'll assume it
is still bug.

Thanks, Mike