Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
"Michael R. Head"

Default Focus stealing prevention -- can it be reenabled?

Way back in -- maybe -- 5.10, metacity implemented focus stealing
prevention where if you were working in a window and another window
popped up, it would not directly interrupt your work, but would instead
blink in the task bar, waiting for your attention later (for example, a
gaim/pidgin IM might appear while you're typing a command in a Terminal,
and you'd be allowed to finish your work before switching to the new IM
window).

But recent releases of Ubuntu seem to have either disabled this feature
or neutered it so that it's ineffective.

Does anyone know how to get back the old behavior? (I'm not running
compiz, just metacity).

thanks,
mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding

Old 12-26-2007, 07:40 PM
"Michael R. Head"

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 15:29 -0500, Michael R. Head wrote:
> Way back in -- maybe -- 5.10, metacity implemented focus stealing
> prevention where if you were working in a window and another window
> popped up, it would not directly interrupt your work, but would instead
> blink in the task bar, waiting for your attention later (for example, a
> gaim/pidgin IM might appear while you're typing a command in a Terminal,
> and you'd be allowed to finish your work before switching to the new IM
> window).
>
> But recent releases of Ubuntu seem to have either disabled this feature
> or neutered it so that it's ineffective.
>
> Does anyone know how to get back the old behavior? (I'm not running
> compiz, just metacity).

BTW: what I'm interested in is preventing the pidgin chat window from
stealing my focus when it initially pops up (the most annoying case). It
doesn't steal focus when new messages are received after it's already
open.