FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-26-2007, 03:56 PM
"Stevica Kurcubic"
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

Hello,

I have this old computer and i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 server on it. I
would like to add some old PCI card there and it can only work with
2.4 kernel. What will be the easiest way to install kernel 2.4 there.
Security and updates are not the issue. This computer does not have
access to internet, so the only thing important is to have kernel 2.4
up and running.

TNX

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

Am Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:56:09 +0100
schrieb "Stevica Kurcubic" <kurcubic@linux.link.ba>:

> I have this old computer and i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 server on it. I
> would like to add some old PCI card there and it can only work with
> 2.4 kernel.

Hard to believe, which it is?

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM
"Stevica Kurcubic"
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

On 12/26/07, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> Am Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:56:09 +0100
> schrieb "Stevica Kurcubic" <kurcubic@linux.link.ba>:
>
> > I have this old computer and i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 server on it. I
> > would like to add some old PCI card there and it can only work with
> > 2.4 kernel.
>
> Hard to believe, which it is?
>
> Gerald

It is really not important. I just need kernel 2.4 installed.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

Am Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:25:23 +0100
schrieb "Stevica Kurcubic" <kurcubic@linux.link.ba>:

> On 12/26/07, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> > Am Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:56:09 +0100
> > schrieb "Stevica Kurcubic" <kurcubic@linux.link.ba>:
> >
> > > I have this old computer and i'm using Ubuntu 7.10 server on it. I
> > > would like to add some old PCI card there and it can only work
> > > with 2.4 kernel.
> >
> > Hard to believe, which it is?
> >
> > Gerald
>
> It is really not important. I just need kernel 2.4 installed.

Oh, how friendly. Maybe you have forgotten, that you are ask for
doing work for you that you don't pay for. I have no motivation
to do this work without knowing that it makes sense, but I believe
you might find someone else who will get his motivation from
a Florence Nightingale Syndrome.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
"Steve Flynn"
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

On Dec 26, 2007 6:49 PM, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:

> Oh, how friendly. Maybe you have forgotten, that you are ask for
> doing work for you that you don't pay for. I have no motivation
> to do this work without knowing that it makes sense, but I believe
> you might find someone else who will get his motivation from
> a Florence Nightingale Syndrome.

Consider his question rephrased as "How can I easily install a 2.4
series kernel on my current Ubuntu installation". Does that make it
any more palatable for you to answer?

--
Steve
When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Victor Sterpu
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

The problem with rephrasing is that Gerald is actualy right to ask that
question.
The odds are minimal to actualy need a kernel replace to 2.4.

However, if the device must be secret for some reason, you shuld then
compile a new kernel.
You find the instructions here:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/202/1

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007 6:49 PM, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
>
>
>> Oh, how friendly. Maybe you have forgotten, that you are ask for
>> doing work for you that you don't pay for. I have no motivation
>> to do this work without knowing that it makes sense, but I believe
>> you might find someone else who will get his motivation from
>> a Florence Nightingale Syndrome.
>>
>
> Consider his question rephrased as "How can I easily install a 2.4
> series kernel on my current Ubuntu installation". Does that make it
> any more palatable for you to answer?
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 06:56 PM
"Steve Flynn"
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

On Dec 26, 2007 7:44 PM, Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> wrote:
> The problem with rephrasing is that Gerald is actualy right to ask that
> question.

I don't believe he is. I wasn't aware that anyone had to have
justification for wanting to do something with their installation -
the members of this list have no reason to know WHY a user wants to do
something - as the poster said, it's not actually important why he
wants to install a 2.4 kernel or what hardware he wants to use, just
that he does...

> The odds are minimal to actualy need a kernel replace to 2.4.

Entirely dependant upon the hardware in question.

Your link was far better than the zero information I offered to the OP
and for that I apologise.

--
Steve
When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

Am Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:56:20 +0000
schrieb "Steve Flynn" <anothermindbomb@gmail.com>:

> On Dec 26, 2007 7:44 PM, Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> wrote:
> > The problem with rephrasing is that Gerald is actualy right to ask
> > that question.
>
> I don't believe he is.

Of course I am right. You don't have the right to decide for me under
which conditions I have to help somebody.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 07:31 PM
"Steve Flynn"
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

On Dec 26, 2007 8:14 PM, Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de> wrote:
> Am Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:56:20 +0000

> > I don't believe he is.
>
> Of course I am right. You don't have the right to decide for me under
> which conditions I have to help somebody.

I didn't intimate that I was deciding whether you should help or not -
I was making the point that you don't need to know why a poster wants
to achieve something - only that he does.
You can of course elect to assist him or you can elect to ignore him.
Entirely your decision.

In this situation you appear to not want to help and thus no further
input from you is required in this thread.

--
Steve
When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Victor Sterpu
 
Default Linux kernel 2.4 on Ubuntu 7.10 howto?

It's not about what users do with their computers. They can do what they
want with them.

Many people that came here don't really know what they want. They can't
even start to imagine what the solution coud be.
The user that initiated this thread may not actualy need a kernel replace.
This is why the device type is important.

Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007 7:44 PM, Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> wrote:
>
>> The problem with rephrasing is that Gerald is actualy right to ask that
>> question.
>>
>
> I don't believe he is. I wasn't aware that anyone had to have
> justification for wanting to do something with their installation -
> the members of this list have no reason to know WHY a user wants to do
> something - as the poster said, it's not actually important why he
> wants to install a 2.4 kernel or what hardware he wants to use, just
> that he does...
>
>
>> The odds are minimal to actualy need a kernel replace to 2.4.
>>
>
> Entirely dependant upon the hardware in question.
>
> Your link was far better than the zero information I offered to the OP
> and for that I apologise.
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org