Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Jim Allison

Default 8.10 Desktop version hangs right after accepting password

Package: installation-reports Boot method: CD
Image version: 8.10 http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Date: 1/14/09
Machine: Compaq SR1010NX
Processor: 2.7 G Celeron
Memory: 1GB
Partitions: 1 40GB

I booted from the CD I made from the iso and installed using the entire
disk. The installation appeared to go OK. I rebooted, removed the CD and
was prompted for a login. I entered my userame and password sucessfully,
and then the system hung with an empty tan desktop. There is a mouse
icon that tracks when I move the mouse, but nothing else comes up. I
noticed a message when it is first booting that says "unable to load
system description tables". I would love to get the system working, but
I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone help me get started
sortng this out?

thanks

Jim Allison

Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Chris Mohler

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Jim Allison <jallison22@comcast.net> wrote:
[...]
> I booted from the CD I made from the iso and installed using the entire
> disk. The installation appeared to go OK. I rebooted, removed the CD and
> was prompted for a login. I entered my userame and password sucessfully,
> and then the system hung with an empty tan desktop. There is a mouse
> icon that tracks when I move the mouse, but nothing else comes up.
[...]

I ran into a similar scenario - I'm not sure what the culprit was
(buggy video driver?), but running the updates cleared it up.

Unfortunately you will have to do the updates on the command line,
since the graphic login is not working...

At the graphic login screen:
1. Press CTRL-ALT-F1 (you should see a black screen with white text)
2. Log in (you will not see anything on the screen while entering your password)
3. Type 'sudo apt-get update' and press enter (enter your password
again when prompted)
4. Type 'sudo apt-get upgrade' and press enter (depending on your
connection speed, this could take a while)
5. When it's done, type 'sudo reboot' and press enter

You should now be in business with GUI login when it comes back up.

HTH,
Chris

Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 AM
NoOp

On 01/14/2009 04:44 PM, Jim Allison wrote:
> Package: installation-reports Boot method: CD
> Image version: 8.10 http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
> Date: 1/14/09
> Machine: Compaq SR1010NX
> Processor: 2.7 G Celeron
> Memory: 1GB
> Partitions: 1 40GB
>
> I booted from the CD I made from the iso and installed using the entire
> disk. The installation appeared to go OK. I rebooted, removed the CD and
> was prompted for a login. I entered my userame and password sucessfully,
> and then the system hung with an empty tan desktop. There is a mouse
> icon that tracks when I move the mouse, but nothing else comes up. I
> noticed a message when it is first booting that says "unable to load
> system description tables". I would love to get the system working, but
> I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone help me get started
> sortng this out?
>
> thanks
>
> Jim Allison

When you get to the gdm login screen, try:

1. Select Options (lower left corner).
2. Select Session.
3. Select Failsafe Gnome & 'Change Session'

See if you can login then.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Chris Mohler

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
[..]
> When you get to the gdm login screen, try:
>
> 1. Select Options (lower left corner).
> 2. Select Session.
> 3. Select Failsafe Gnome & 'Change Session'
>
> See if you can login then.

That is a good point. Jim hit me off-list to say the VT1 login/update
worked out for him, but know I wonder if the fail-safe session would
have worked instead...

/chris