Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 AM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Default Why does my system dim and go grey sometimes?

mark Pyles wrote:
>wanted to know why is it that sometimes whenever I am reviewing a
webpage or email or anything else that my screen seemss to dim and go
grey?

I noticed that behavior indicates that active application is having a timeout. The cause maybe vary, from IO (harddisk is so busy that requests from application had to be timed out) to connection loss (say, SMB server suddenly gone).

And in your case, while browsing, I would say maybe a javascript causing problem. It happens to me from time to time too. Usually what I did was leave it alone until it was uncomfortably long time.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Selatan 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
mark Pyles

Hi Anthony:

Is there no way to fix that? Is that common? Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM
norman

Out of curiosity, does this dimming happen when working with the battery
only or when connected to the mains electricity? I ask because I have
the Dell Inspiron 1525 which I use regularly throughout the day,
connecting to the mains and, except when I first had the machine, I do
not experience dimming or fade other thsn when the power management
setting kicks in.

Norman

Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 AM
mark Pyles

Hi Norman:

It does dim just a tad when I unplug it from the power supply, but I
rarely do that unless I'm moving it to another location. The dimming I
experience is when the computer is having a hard time processing
something or a webpage or when I have too many things going at one time,
then it will dim and go grey and I won't be able to do anything until it
clears itself up. It's very perplexing. Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
norman

> It does dim just a tad when I unplug it from the power supply, but I
> rarely do that unless I'm moving it to another location. The dimming I
> experience is when the computer is having a hard time processing
> something or a webpage or when I have too many things going at one time,
> then it will dim and go grey and I won't be able to do anything until it
> clears itself up. It's very perplexing. Thanks.

Of course, I recognise that when one says I have an Inspiron 1525 your
machine could be very different when compared to mine with regards to
memory, CPU and so. When you start to get dimming have you ever looked
at the System monitor to find out what is going on?

Norman

Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM
"Jason Crain"

On Tue, January 20, 2009 6:40 am, mark Pyles wrote:
> It does dim just a tad when I unplug it from the power supply, but I
> rarely do that unless I'm moving it to another location. The dimming I
> experience is when the computer is having a hard time processing
> something or a webpage or when I have too many things going at one time,
> then it will dim and go grey and I won't be able to do anything until it
> clears itself up. It's very perplexing. Thanks.

This is a feature enabled when desktop effects is turned on. Unresponsive
programs are faded to gray. There is not much you can do about it except
wait for the computer to finish processing. If you don't have a lot of
ram, adding more might help.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Jason Crain wrote:

> On Tue, January 20, 2009 6:40 am, mark Pyles wrote:
>> It does dim just a tad when I unplug it from the power supply, but I
>> rarely do that unless I'm moving it to another location. The dimming I
>> experience is when the computer is having a hard time processing
>> something or a webpage or when I have too many things going at one time,
>> then it will dim and go grey and I won't be able to do anything until it
>> clears itself up. It's very perplexing. Thanks.
>
> This is a feature enabled when desktop effects is turned on. Unresponsive
> programs are faded to gray. There is not much you can do about it except
> wait for the computer to finish processing. If you don't have a lot of
> ram, adding more might help.

Or just turn off desktop effects and compiz (worked for me - sort of: it just
makes it less annoying, the app is _still_ unresponsive. I do need more
RAM).

Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 AM
mark Pyles

Hi Derek:

I don't think I have desktop affect on (at least not that I know of)
and I don't have compiz installed. I have 3 gigs of RAM, so hopefully
that should be enough in my Dell Inspiron laptop. Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Derek Broughton

mark Pyles wrote:

> I don't think I have desktop affect on (at least not that I know of) and
> I don't have compiz installed.

I think you have to - that's what makes the windows go grey.

Do: "ps aux | grep compiz"

Old 01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
NoOp

On 01/24/2009 06:54 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> mark Pyles wrote:
>
>> I don't think I have desktop affect on (at least not that I know of) and
>> I don't have compiz installed.
>
> I think you have to - that's what makes the windows go grey.
>
> Do: "ps aux | grep compiz"

It won't matter - even with compiz on some applications will go grey if
they are busy. It's akin to the windows hourglass... it's just telling
you that the app is busy and can't be used until it's finished. In many
cases (browsers especially) it doesn't seem to matter how much memory
you have physically.