Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 AM
NoOp

Default IPOD and Rythmbox

On 01/19/2009 06:20 PM, mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell 1525 Inspiron laptop. I
> have a older 30Gig IPOD that already has music on it but was loaded on a
> windows machine and wanted to know if that was the reason I cannot
> listen to any of the music that is on it? Also how do I load music or
> mp3's on to the IPOD using Rythmbox? I'm major newbie at this. Thank you.
>

> Mark

Perhaps these will help:

<http://www.google.com/search?q=help.ubuntu+%2Bipod&btnG=Search&complete= 0&hl=en&sa=2>
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=help.ubuntu+%2Bipod+%2Br hythmbox&btnG=Search>

And particularly:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaApplications
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9266
[Chapter 16: Ubuntu and Your iPod]

As you'll see from:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/rhythmbox

<quote>
Rhythmbox is a very easy to use music playing and management program
which supports a wide range of audio formats (including mp3 and ogg).
Originally inspired by Apple's iTunes, the current version also supports
Internet Radio, iPod integration and generic portable audio player
support, Audio CD burning, Audio CD playback, music sharing, and Podcasts.
</quote>

So Rhythmbox with your ipod should work.

But if not, you can check for bugs at:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bugs
search: ipod
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bugs?field.searchtext=ipod&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

and see if anything matches your problem.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:41:24PM -0800, NoOp wrote:

> So Rhythmbox with your ipod should work.

I use rhytmbox to listen to music on my ipod. But, there is at least
one big gotcha: where the music came from. If from iTunes, its most
likely hobbled with DRM encryption and rhythmbox can't deal with that.
I'd love to be proved wrong on that.

Apple recently announced they are removing the DRM stuff, so in the
future this might not be a problem.

--
Hal

Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell 1525 Inspiron laptop. I
> have a older 30Gig IPOD that already has music on it but was loaded on a
> windows machine and wanted to know if that was the reason I cannot
> listen to any of the music that is on it?
Of course not. It sounds like the Ipod might be broken.

> Also how do I load music or
> mp3's on to the IPOD using Rythmbox? I'm major newbie at this. Thank you.

You do not even need Rythmbox. My little ipod must be plugged into
my Ubuntu Hardy to charge it's battery and when I do that it's music
content comes up in Places where you can add or remove content on Linux.
All of my Ipod content is on my computer for safe keeping.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
NoOp

On 01/20/2009 03:36 AM, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:41:24PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> So Rhythmbox with your ipod should work.
>
> I use rhytmbox to listen to music on my ipod. But, there is at least
> one big gotcha: where the music came from. If from iTunes, its most
> likely hobbled with DRM encryption and rhythmbox can't deal with that.
> I'd love to be proved wrong on that.
>
> Apple recently announced they are removing the DRM stuff, so in the
> future this might not be a problem.

Don't know... I'm cheap and hum to myself instead :-)
But you can check to see if someone has reported it as a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/rhythmbox/+bugs?
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/rhythmbox/+bugs?field.searchtext=itunes&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

Perhaps?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/rhythmbox/+bug/62842

Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 AM
David Fox

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:09 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Don't know... I'm cheap and hum to myself instead :-)

Don't do that. BMI might be listening.