Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
----

Default Printer, copier, scanner for Ubuntu

I'm looking for recommendations for a Printer, with do-all features
---scan, copy etc. that will work with ubuntu. I have
a Lexmark 3650 but ubuntu doesn't seem to know it's there.
Has anyone successfully gotten the Lexmark3650 to work in ubuntu?
Recommendations?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Matthew Flaschen

---- wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for a Printer, with do-all features
> ---scan, copy etc. that will work with ubuntu. I have
> a Lexmark 3650 but ubuntu doesn't seem to know it's there.

Yeah, it doesn't look like there's any Linux support
(http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3650_3-in-1).

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 PM
NoOp

On 01/19/2009 04:38 PM, ---- wrote:
> Lexmark 3650

Indicates it's a "Paperweight"
http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3650_3-in-1
http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark

http://downloads.lexmark.com/perl/downloads/downloads.cgi
http://search.lexmark.com/printer/US/en/16F1200
shows no linux drivers, only Windows & Mac.

You can try here:
http://forums.openprinting.org/list.php?29

Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Wade Smart

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> ---- wrote:
>> I'm looking for recommendations for a Printer, with do-all features
>> ---scan, copy etc. that will work with ubuntu. I have
>> a Lexmark 3650 but ubuntu doesn't seem to know it's there.
>
> Yeah, it doesn't look like there's any Linux support
> (http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3650_3-in-1).
>
> Matt Flaschen

20090119 1905 GMT-5

I have spent several days researching this same thing and today I demoed:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113303

Its a brother and after reading about a lot of them and traveling to the
store(s) many times - I choose this one.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Wade Smart

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Brother Walt Gee

Can you use Wine and a windows driver?* I've got the same problem.* It connects and then says my pntr HP K80 all in one isn't connected.
A couple of minutes ago I learned that emacs snapshot wine and ubuntu security all have fatal errors. I was told to report the emacs bug but they didn't tell me where?* I try to read the posts so that I won't have to bother anyone.* But I am totally confused now and losing ground.
walt gee

Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Brother Walt Gee wrote:
> Can you use Wine and a windows driver? I've got the same problem.
> It connects and then says my pntr HP K80 all in one isn't connected.
> A couple of minutes ago I learned that emacs snapshot wine and ubuntu
> security all have fatal errors.

Can you clarify what you mean? What kind of error are you talking about?

I was told to report the emacs bug
> but they didn't tell me where?

It depends what the error is and where you're installing from. But this
isn't really relevant at all to the OP. It would be better to make a
new thread and provide full details.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 AM
NoOp

On 01/19/2009 05:08 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> ---- wrote:
>>> I'm looking for recommendations for a Printer, with do-all features
>>> ---scan, copy etc. that will work with ubuntu. I have
>>> a Lexmark 3650 but ubuntu doesn't seem to know it's there.
>>
>> Yeah, it doesn't look like there's any Linux support
>> (http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-X3650_3-in-1).
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> 20090119 1905 GMT-5
>
> I have spent several days researching this same thing and today I demoed:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113303
>
> Its a brother and after reading about a lot of them and traveling to the
> store(s) many times - I choose this one.
>
> Wade

Thats considerably different than a $79 Lexmark X3650...

Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Denis Haskin

I'd recommend
something from HP.* They've actually devoted some resources to putting
together drivers, tools, etc for Linux (which keep getting better).*
I've found it a lot easier to use HP devices than others (and I have no
relationship to HP other than as a satisfied customer).

Right now I have a Officejet Pro L7600, which is working pretty well
(was actually easier to install+configure it on Ubuntu than on WinXP).*
There are some reports of issues with the sheet feeder for the
copier/scanner, which did happen to me once but I took a vacuum cleaner
to it and it works fine ;-)

dwh

Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Brian McKee

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Denis Haskin <denis@haskinferguson.net> wrote:
> I'd recommend something from HP. They've actually devoted some resources to
> putting together drivers, tools, etc for Linux (which keep getting better).

I've recently installed a couple of HP all in ones (two inkjets, one
laser) and found it amusing the linux software installed easier and
worked better than the clunkly Windows and Mac stuff (MAN are they
bloated!)

If a cheap all-in-one is what you are after, consider something off
the http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html site. Note that
the version oh hplip in Hardy is old enough most new printers will
require you to use the software from that site rather than the
repositories.

Brian