Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Rashkae

Default Unrecoverable error after conversion to ext4

Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> I (attempted to) converted a scratch file system from ext3 to ext4 on
> Jaunty Alpha3. It appears the file system is now screwed (which I don't
> care about), as follows:
>
> # umount /t/opt/
> # tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/vol01/opt
> # fsck -f /dev/vol01/opt
> fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
> fsck.ext4: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
> Group descriptor 81 checksum is invalid. Fix<y>? yes
>
> Group descriptor 125 checksum is invalid. Fix<y>? yes
>
> /opt contains a file system with errors, check forced.
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Group 81's inode table at 2654210 conflicts with some other fs block.
> Relocate<y>? yes
>
> Error allocating 512 contiguous block(s) in block group 81 for inode
> table: Could not allocate block in ext2 filesystem Restarting e2fsck
> from the beginning...
> fsck.ext4: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
>
> (repeats for ever)
>
> Any hints as to whether this is recoverable before I mkfs.ext4 over it?
>
> -jh

err, inode table conflicts with some other fs block?!? I think you
should start fixing things with fdisk rather than mkfs. Looks like you
managed to get overlapping partitions.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:08:25 -0500, Rashkae wrote:

>Jonathan Hudson wrote:
>> I (attempted to) converted a scratch file system from ext3 to ext4 on
>> Jaunty Alpha3. It appears the file system is now screwed (which I don't
>> care about), as follows:
>>
>> # umount /t/opt/
>> # tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/vol01/opt
>> # fsck -f /dev/vol01/opt
>> fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>> e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
>> fsck.ext4: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
>> Group descriptor 81 checksum is invalid. Fix<y>? yes
>>
>> Group descriptor 125 checksum is invalid. Fix<y>? yes
>>
>> /opt contains a file system with errors, check forced.
>> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
>> Group 81's inode table at 2654210 conflicts with some other fs block.
>> Relocate<y>? yes
>>
>> Error allocating 512 contiguous block(s) in block group 81 for inode
>> table: Could not allocate block in ext2 filesystem Restarting e2fsck
>> from the beginning...
>> fsck.ext4: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
>>
>> (repeats for ever)
>>
>> Any hints as to whether this is recoverable before I mkfs.ext4 over it?
>>
>> -jh
>>

>err, inode table conflicts with some other fs block?!? I think you
>should start fixing things with fdisk rather than mkfs. Looks like you
>managed to get overlapping partitions.

I don't think so:

# sfdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 19457 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 0+ 7 8- 64228+ fd Linux RAID autodetect
/dev/sda2 8 493 486 3903795 fd Linux RAID autodetect
/dev/sda3 494 19456 18963 152320297+ fd Linux RAID autodetect
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

If any case, the device is a logical volume, so I'd be disappointed if
lvm had created overlapping devices.

-jh