Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Default W7 vs Ubuntu (Was: replacement for VLC: I dont want Qt)

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> As for Windows 7, I hope Micro$oft has a winner. They have produced
> real bad software for many years now, since Windows XP. I have Vista and
> it is a real bum!

Many good things are said about W7.
A daily bleeding edge comparison between W7 and nearly released Ubuntus
would be good.

With an equivalent list of software installed.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Knapp

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > As for Windows 7, I hope Micro$oft has a winner. They have produced
> > real bad software for many years now, since Windows XP. I have Vista and
> > it is a real bum!
>
> Many good things are said about W7.
> A daily bleeding edge comparison between W7 and nearly released Ubuntus
> would be good.
>
> With an equivalent list of software installed.

And amount of cash payed of each bit! The hardware it runs on. The
speed of it and how well it addresses what the users REALLY wants. A
list of options and user's choices. We can start with a test of each
on my PIII just to see which is more flexible.

BTW there has been a rash of subtle email attacks against Linux of
late. It is very possible that this is a payed writer. The other
attacks also come apparently from India.

Toxic Sludge is Good For You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry

Read this book. You can get it used for under 3$ USD.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1567510604/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v= glance

If I am wrong and you are just a normal unpayed Windows troll then I
am sorry about saying you are a pro.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Christopher Chan

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> As for Windows 7, I hope Micro$oft has a winner. They have produced
>> real bad software for many years now, since Windows XP. I have Vista and
>> it is a real bum!
>
> Many good things are said about W7.
> A daily bleeding edge comparison between W7 and nearly released Ubuntus
> would be good.
>
> With an equivalent list of software installed.

W7 is still Vista underneath. Not welcome.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Scott

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>> As for Windows 7, I hope Micro$oft has a winner. They have produced
>>> real bad software for many years now, since Windows XP. I have Vista and
>>> it is a real bum!
>> Many good things are said about W7.
>> A daily bleeding edge comparison between W7 and nearly released Ubuntus
>> would be good.
>>
>> With an equivalent list of software installed.
>>

> W7 is still Vista underneath. Not welcome.
And what do you think the chances are W7 will be released as open source .

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 8.10

Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Christopher Chan

>> W7 is still Vista underneath. Not welcome.
> And what do you think the chances are W7 will be released as open source .

Heh. Not likely. I was hoping that the new US president would resume the
Clinton sanctions that were conveniently watered down by the Bush
administration. But the latest information about the inauguration seems
to indicate that such a thing is not likely to come about and perhaps
also no boost for alternative desktops with a move to open document
format standards.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Scott <sclewin@sgaming.ca> said:
> And what do you think the chances are W7 will be released as open
> source .

Somewhere between zero and none.

I still believe M$'s most likely chance to survive in the long run is
to start making a nice proprietary WinDE to run on Linux.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 AM

Knapp wrote:
> If I am wrong and you are just a normal unpayed Windows troll then I
> am sorry about saying you are a pro.

I just worry about the big jump microsoft is seeming to make in terme of
sofware quality and wonder if Linux distros has the tech answer.

I remember the times microsoft annouced a paradisiac UI that, in fine,
did not reach 10% of compiz.

I internally wish W7 is just a vaporware and all the good things said
about it are just paid words. That's why I want to monitor a comparison.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Knapp

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> If I am wrong and you are just a normal unpayed Windows troll then I
>> am sorry about saying you are a pro.
>
> I just worry about the big jump microsoft is seeming to make in terme of
> sofware quality and wonder if Linux distros has the tech answer.
>
> I remember the times microsoft announced a paradisiac UI that, in fine,
> did not reach 10% of compiz.
>
> I internally wish W7 is just a vaporware and all the good things said
> about it are just paid words. That's why I want to monitor a comparison.

One thing about closed source software is that they can steal from
Open source and no one will ever know about it. But we can't do the
same.

Also what does your Linux system not do? I mean why compare? If your
system lacks something then talk about that and then build it or find
someone that can and wants to. I think compiz is a good example of
something that is cool but almost useless. The only reason I am
excited about the up and coming QT4 is because it is said to be a
better tool for writing better software and thus KDE4 will end up
being faster, easier and more stable than KDE3. This is an improvement
worth having.

The real question is, can I do my work or play better with the new
gadget? Looking over the fence at other gadgets might provide
inspiration but that is all.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Knapp wrote:
> I mean why compare?

Because I am the only one that uses Linux in here.
I obliged my developpers (I am project manager) to use
Xubuntu-Linux/Emacs to develop. They're quite happy to use it now (at
the beginning they did not know about Linux) and they dont want to
get/switch back to Windows anymore (No, they're not affraid of me ;-)).

When Seven will get there, I want to know if the other project managers
(that continued to run windows, XP) will laugh or not. That's all. I
noticed our Linux system are a bit slow now, but that's because we
installed plenty of things, and I dont know what Seven will be about...

> The real question is, can I do my work or play better with the new
> gadget? Looking over the fence at other gadgets might provide
> inspiration but that is all.

It's definitely not about gadget. I just mentionned compiz as a
superficial example.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>
>> If I am wrong and you are just a normal unpayed Windows troll then I
>> am sorry about saying you are a pro.
>>

> I just worry about the big jump microsoft is seeming to make in terme of
> sofware quality and wonder if Linux distros has the tech answer.
>
> I remember the times microsoft annouced a paradisiac UI that, in fine,
> did not reach 10% of compiz.
>
> I internally wish W7 is just a vaporware and all the good things said
> about it are just paid words. That's why I want to monitor a comparison.

I found no comparison or numbers for speed and such. Someone said
Windows 7 takes 470KB of space to load, if, true, it is small. Others
say it is just Vista with a new cover. I cannot prove anything. Google
has a lot of stuff but none is verifiable truth.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User