-   -   WEP or WPA-PSK ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/23036-wep-wpa-psk.html)

"Tim M" 12-26-2007 12:03 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP security was completely worst less. I am not sure I believe him but he might be correct. I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't want to mess with it but I also want my two computers and small server safe. So can anyone fill me in on the subject and whether I need to figure out how to setup WPA on my Netgear router and Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop?

Tim

"Raseel Bhagat" 12-26-2007 12:50 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Hi Tim,

Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP security was completely worst less. *I'm afraid he is pretty much correct.
Let me give you some generic info.
WEP is* security based on 64-bit or 128-bit keys. However, there are software easily available to crack this type of security so that anyone can start using your Wireless LAN. You can Google "WEP cracking" and "aircrack suite".

Having said that, it is not COMPLETELY worthless in the sense that a lay-person will not be able to just hack and come in.
WPA is a slightly more matured security algorithm for Wireless networks. However, some more googling will show you that even this security is crackable. But again , this will require more expertise than required for cracking WEP. The best option, for individuals, is to have WPA2-PSK security and make sure that your passphrase is quite strong.

Thanks,
Raseel
www.raseel.in
www.opensourcedeal.com

"Steve Flynn" 12-26-2007 12:51 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

On Dec 26, 2007 1:03 PM, Tim M <southern.tim@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP security was
> completely worst less. I am not sure I believe him but he might be correct.
> I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't want to mess with it
> but I also want my two computers and small server safe. So can anyone fill
> me in on the subject and whether I need to figure out how to setup WPA on my
> Netgear router and Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop?

WEP is a encryption protocol which is flawed - even with large keys
(read "long passwords") it can be relatively easily broken. WPA is
more robust algorithm and if you have the option of using it, it's
probably worthwhile.

To switch over to using WPA is router dependant but essentially it's
nothing more than selecting WPA from a drop-down box on a security
page rather than selecting WEP. Enter a new password and save the
config and reboot the router. You should now be prompted by your
laptop for a new password to connect to your router.

I believe this page should help you configure the router (it should be
obvious when you find the right page in the routers server):
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101675.asp
It's windows based but the same principle applies to any OS you're
running on your machine

--
Steve
people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Nils Kassube 12-26-2007 12:55 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Yes, he is right: <http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/87889>.

> I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't
> want to mess with it but I also want my two computers and small server
> safe. So can anyone fill me in on the subject and whether I need to
> figure out how to setup WPA on my Netgear router and Dell Inspiron 1200
> laptop?

I don't have any of your equipment, so I'm not sure if WPA / WPA2 is
supported by your router and your laptop under Linux. But the setup is
very similar to WEP, except that you select a different encryption.
Select WPA or WPA2 personal (not enterprise) - maybe it is called WPA or
WPA2 with preshared key in your router setup.

If you still have trouble to make it work, please tell us the type of your
WLAN card and the type of your router.

Nils

David Vincent 12-26-2007 03:04 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Steve Flynn wrote:
> To switch over to using WPA is router dependant but essentially it's
> nothing more than selecting WPA from a drop-down box on a security
> page rather than selecting WEP. Enter a new password and save the
> config and reboot the router. You should now be prompted by your
> laptop for a new password to connect to your router.

this step trips up lots of people. your laptop still has the old
settings for your wireless network and if you haven't changed the ESSID
then it will happily try to use those to connect to the network. it may
look like it is working or is going to work (depending on your OS -
wink) and can cause hours of frustration and googling.

the fix is logical and easy. make sure to remove any settings on your
wireless clients first, then add them back once you've reconfigured your
network.

1. remove wireless settings from clients
2. reconfigure router/ap
3. connect clients to the new network

-d

Neil Cherry 12-26-2007 04:01 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Tim M wrote:
> Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP security
> was completely worst less. I am not sure I believe him but he might be
> correct. I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't want to
> mess with it but I also want my two computers and small server safe. So
> can anyone fill me in on the subject and whether I need to figure out
> how to setup WPA on my Netgear router and Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop?
> Tim

WEP can be cracked within 1 minute (maybe down to 30 seconds)
with the current script kiddie tools available.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Derek Broughton 12-27-2007 02:19 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

Raseel Bhagat wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Dec 26, 2007 6:33 PM, Tim M <southern.tim@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP security
>> was completely worst less.
>

> I'm afraid he is pretty much correct.
> Let me give you some generic info.
> WEP is security based on 64-bit or 128-bit keys. However, there are
> software easily available to crack this type of security so that anyone
> can start using your Wireless LAN. You can Google "WEP cracking" and
> "aircrack suite".
> Having said that, it is not COMPLETELY worthless in the sense that a
> lay-person will not be able to just hack and come in.

Yes it is. Even a "layperson" can get hold of a live-CD that will do the
work for him in about 10 minutes.
--
derek

debian 12-27-2007 05:17 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 07:03 -0600, Tim M wrote:
> Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP
> security was completely worst less. I am not sure I believe him but he
> might be correct. I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't
> want to mess with it but I also want my two computers and small server
> safe. So can anyone fill me in on the subject and whether I need to
> figure out how to setup WPA on my Netgear router and Dell Inspiron
> 1200 laptop?
> Tim

well, he is right that WEP is worse the WPA. WPA is the newest type of
wireless security and the securest out there. Im not sure about your
particular router, but some routers will allow you to open your internet
browser, then type in their address (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
and enable WPA that way.

--cj

"Tim M" 12-27-2007 10:08 PM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

On 12/27/07, debian <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 07:03 -0600, Tim M wrote:
> > Last night I was told by my know it all brother-in-law that WEP
> > security was completely worst less. I am not sure I believe him but he
> > might be correct. I am not sure I know how to use WPA and really don't
> > want to mess with it but I also want my two computers and small server
> > safe. So can anyone fill me in on the subject and whether I need to
> > figure out how to setup WPA on my Netgear router and Dell Inspiron
> > 1200 laptop?
> > Tim
>
> well, he is right that WEP is worse the WPA. WPA is the newest type of
> wireless security and the securest out there. Im not sure about your
> particular router, but some routers will allow you to open your internet
> browser, then type in their address (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
> and enable WPA that way.
>
> --cj

Thanks to everyone for the help! Following everyone's help it was a
painless operation that worked the first time. Not many things work
the first time for me because I am such a klutz when it comes to OS.
Part of the problem is I have memory problems . . . anyway, many
thanks.

Tim

"Raseel Bhagat" 12-28-2007 09:30 AM

WEP or WPA-PSK ?

On Dec 27, 2007 8:49 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Raseel Bhagat wrote:

> Having said that, it is not COMPLETELY worthless in the sense that a
> lay-person will not be able to just hack and come in.

Yes it is. *Even a "layperson" can get hold of a live-CD that will do the

work for him in about 10 minutes.
--
hehe....

but when I meant "layperson", is someone like Tim, who wouldn't know about different securities.

Thanks,
Raseel
www.raseel.in

www.opensourcedeal.com