Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default Launching Apps from the Command Line

Hello,

I have an old PC I'd like to convert to a old games machine for my kids.

I'd like to install Linux on it, that will boot into the command line (console) showing a menu listing the various games with a little screen shot. Most of the games are old DOS abandonware games I plan to run using DOSBox, and the machine is't very strong, so I;d like to avoid installing X altogether, if possible...

Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?

I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything useful.* Maybe there's a Linux distro out there I could install?

Tanks!

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
"Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?

That would be interesting! An ncurses desktop environnement

Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
musicman

how about enlightenment 2.0?

L.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> Amichai Rotman wrote:

>> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?
>
> That would be interesting! An ncurses desktop environnement

"Last night I had a dream—it was about nothing."

Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Brian

On Mon 19 Jan 2009 at 14:45:08 +0200, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?

apt-cache show pdmenu

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
James Takac

Hi Amichai

On Monday 19 January 2009 22:45:08 Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old PC I'd like to convert to a old games machine for my kids.
>
> I'd like to install Linux on it, that will boot into the command line
> (console) showing a menu listing the various games with a little screen
> shot. Most of the games are old DOS abandonware games I plan to run using
> DOSBox, and the machine is't very strong, so I;d like to avoid installing X
> altogether, if possible...
>
> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?
>
> I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything useful. Maybe there's a Linux
> distro out there I could install?
>
> Tanks!
>
> .:================================================ ====:.
>
> Amichai Rotman
>
> UIN#: 6401746
> Registered Linux User#: 201192 [http://counter.li.org/]
> Registered Ubuntu User #12851 [http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net]

>---------------------------------

There is another alternative available as well. A simple google for "freedos"
will give you a downloadable link (plus any help needed) for the old DOS
compatible OS. You can easily set up a menu on boot to select apps/games to
run as well. Now it may or may not be what you're looking for so look around
and google to find what you can

http://www.freedos.org/

will get you the homepage as a starter. Feel free to contact me personally in
you need more

James

PS
Know That Latin saying all to well
should try "Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat"

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Ray Parrish

Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old PC I'd like to convert to a old games machine for my kids.
>
> I'd like to install Linux on it, that will boot into the command line
> (console) showing a menu listing the various games with a little
> screen shot. Most of the games are old DOS abandonware games I plan to
> run using DOSBox, and the machine is't very strong, so I;d like to
> avoid installing X altogether, if possible...
>
> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?
>
> I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything useful. Maybe there's a
> Linux distro out there I could install?
>
> Tanks!
>
> .:================================================ ====:.
>
> Amichai Rotman
Hi there!

An option you may not have considered, is to simply install MS-DOS on
the old computer. It is still available on Ebay, in the Operating
Systems section of Computers and Networking. Here is a link to a
complete copy of version 6.22 currently selling for $4.99, and there is
a little over a day left on this particular auction.

<http://tinyurl.com/7cymdy>

One of the things that dos batch language was actually good at, was
creating a menu system for launching your other programs, so with a
little study of the help built in you can create your own custom menu to
launch the games.

Here is another link to a still sealed, never used copy of MS-DOS 6.22
with a license, that is going for $21.50 -

<http://tinyurl.com/8pcqa7>

And there are many more offerings of different versions of MS-DOS, and
DR-DOS available as well on this page there -

<http://tinyurl.com/7cbncn>

Why bother with emulating it when you can run the real thing, and avoid
the overhead?

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Amichai Rotman

Thanks Brian!

The first useful answer I got.
.:================================================ ====:.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
"Koh Choon Lin"

>> > Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?
>>
>> apt-cache show pdmenu

I think there is one distro which is completely CLI, based on Ubuntu.
You might want to try that.

--
Koh Choon Lin

Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
NoOp

On 01/19/2009 04:45 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an old PC I'd like to convert to a old games machine for my kids.
>
> I'd like to install Linux on it, that will boot into the command line
> (console) showing a menu listing the various games with a little screen
> shot. Most of the games are old DOS abandonware games I plan to run using
> DOSBox, and the machine is't very strong, so I;d like to avoid installing X
> altogether, if possible...
>
> Is there an ncurses based menu program out there?
>
> I tried Googling, but couldn't find anything useful. Maybe there's a Linux
> distro out there I could install?

I quite like xdosemu as it mounts c: automatically:

Install the server version and dosemu, then run xdosemu. However, be
aware that there is a bug in dosemu (workarounds/patches provided in the
bug report):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/216398