Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Jim Kvarnberg

Default connection with website with security a super-turtle slow!

When I got into connection to start online banking or some other places
that require my login ID and password before I could open them, it took
'forever' to open them. I got tired of staring at mouse point icon
wheel going around and around for a long time. I got up to go across a
room to my laptop computer with wireless connection (its OS is Windows
XP) to open the connection to the same places ... bingo they opened up
real fast, beating the Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 operated computer. What was
wrong? Any suggestion for solving the problem? It will be
appreciated. Thank you. Jim
PS I want to stick to using the Ubuntu system.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Brian McKee

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Jim Kvarnberg <jimkvg@3web.net> wrote:
> When I got into connection to start online banking or some other places
> that require my login ID and password before I could open them, it took
> 'forever' to open them.

Since no-one else has said anything, I'll make a few comments....

The login/password set-up shouldn't make a noticeable difference. I
think that's a co-incidence.
I'm not saying that isn't what you saw, I'm just saying I don't think
it's the whole story.
It's tough to diagnose something like this, especially without a lot
of information.

Here's a couple of things you can try to help everybody help you.

Give us a little more info about your home network - even a little
ascii art picture would be great. For example, we don't know if the
desktop connects thru the laptop (not likely, but...) or anything.

Does <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats> seem slower
than ubuntu.com in general? You'll notice it uses https....

Do you know how to do a traceroute? If not, say so and we'll explain.
If so, do one to a site that seems slow and let us see the results.
Note you might want to change the ip addresses of the last few hops in
the chain for privacy!

Does this help get you started?

Brian