Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Wade Smart

Default off topic but appropriate

tom arnall wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This post is off topic, but please read it as I think you will consider it
> appropriate.
>
> First the question:
>
> Why do you use this maillist instead of the ubuntu users forum?
>
> I ask this question because I am working to organize a maillist for political
> discussion. You may ask, "There are hundreds of them already. Why add
> another?" The short answer is that for all practical purposes no one uses
> them, although people use political forums like commondreams.org extensively.
> Understanding this difference in participation is the next step in my
> project.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> tom arnall
> arcata

20090118 1236 GMT-5

Im not sure this is appropriate as it has nothing to do with Ubuntu -
and this forum is not for general discussions - but I would venture to
say email is easier to follow for many because it comes as responses are
applied - whereas in a forum you have to keep checking each one you are
in. I use the ubuntu forums but not as much as I do the list. For me -
its easier.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Bruce Ferrell

tom arnall wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This post is off topic, but please read it as I think you will consider it
> appropriate.
>
> First the question:
>
> Why do you use this maillist instead of the ubuntu users forum?
>
> I ask this question because I am working to organize a maillist for political
> discussion. You may ask, "There are hundreds of them already. Why add
> another?" The short answer is that for all practical purposes no one uses
> them, although people use political forums like commondreams.org extensively.
> Understanding this difference in participation is the next step in my
> project.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> tom arnall
> arcata

Tom, it's both off topic and inappropriate. That said, I'll answer anyway.

I prefer that the discussion come to me. I don't want to wade through
someones web interface. It's slower than I can read mail, even at high
volumes.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Matthew Flaschen

tom arnall wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> This post is off topic, but please read it as I think you will consider it
> appropriate.
>
> First the question:
>
> Why do you use this maillist instead of the ubuntu users forum?

To put it simply, "I make 'em come to me". I don't want to have to
navigate to various forum web pages and use clunky inconsistent
interfaces. Even with RSS notifications, this is annoying. It's far
simpler for me to handle all my lists without having to leave my email
client.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Steve Grace

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 13:49 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> tom arnall wrote:
>
> > Why do you use this maillist instead of the ubuntu users forum?
>
> To put it simply, "I make 'em come to me". I don't want to have to
> navigate to various forum web pages and use clunky inconsistent
> interfaces. Even with RSS notifications, this is annoying. It's far
> simpler for me to handle all my lists without having to leave my email
> client.

I agree with all of the replies. It's much more efficient to skim a few
e-mail messages every day (I only read the messages whose topics
interest me) than to use the Ubuntu Forum.

I use the Forum if I'm trying to solve a problem, but unfortunately the
forum search doesn't work very well and so answers (if present) can be
hard to find.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
steve

tom arnall wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> >
> I ask this question because I am working to organize a maillist for political
> discussion. You may ask, "There are hundreds of them already. Why add
> another?" The short answer is that for all practical purposes no one uses
> them, although people use political forums like commondreams.org extensively.
> Understanding this difference in participation is the next step in my
> project.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> tom arnall
> arcata
>

> This post is off topic, but please read it as I think you will consider it
> appropriate.
>
> First the question:
>
> Why do you use this maillist instead of the ubuntu users forum?

forums arent for everybody. i like to have all info in one place. i
get every post sent to my email account so i dont have to go to a web
page and click 6 thousand times to read all the posts, and reply.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

~ Netiquette ~