FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
HermanAA
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.
No Flash-player yet.

I tried the Adobe Flash Player:

n0jn@bsw:~/2$ ls -l
-r-xr-xr-x 1 n0jn n0jn 21701 2008-11-19 07:53 flashplayer-installer
-rwxr-xr-x 1 n0jn n0jn 10022452 2008-11-19 07:53 libflashplayer.so
n0jn@bsw:~/2$ sudo ./flashplayer-installer

ERROR: Your architecture, 'x86_64', is not supported by the
Adobe Flash Player installer.

n0jn@bsw:~/2$
------------------------------------

Adobe says:
TechNote
Flash Player support on 64-bit operating systems

Issue
Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser.
However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a
64-bit operating system.

Reason
Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms. We expect
to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of
Flash Player following Flash Player 10.

Solution
To use Flash Player to view Flash content on a 64-bit operating system,
you must run a 32-bit browser.
Permanent Link: http://www.adobe.com/go/6b3af6c9
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=6b3af6c9
-----------------------------------

My browsers are 64-bit looks like:

FireFox
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121623
Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.5

Opera/9.63 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; en) Presto/2.1.1

How can I get around this limitation?
I have to REMOVE Opera and FireFox?
(and install an old version?)
.... there must be a better way ......

Herman in PHL.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

HermanAA wrote:
> I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.
> No Flash-player yet.


I installed 9.04 alpha 3 x64 yesterday, and flash layer exists in
repositories and works. The IcedTea (Java) browser plugin also works.

So if you want flash player in 64-bit be patient for 9.04 final release.
In the meantime you can try the workarounds for installing the 32-bit
version, or install 8.10 x86.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Nicolae Ghimbovschi
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

You need to do:

1)
# sudo curl http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.d20.7.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz
| tar -C /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/ -xzf -

This will download and copy the flash player lib to mozilla plugins

2)
# sudo mozilla-plugin-config -i
This will setup new plugin.

At least this works in Fedora 10 x86_64


On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 14:12, Ioannis Vranos <ivranos@freemail.gr> wrote:
> HermanAA wrote:
>> I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.
>> No Flash-player yet.
>
>
> I installed 9.04 alpha 3 x64 yesterday, and flash layer exists in
> repositories and works. The IcedTea (Java) browser plugin also works.
>
> So if you want flash player in 64-bit be patient for 9.04 final release.
> In the meantime you can try the workarounds for installing the 32-bit
> version, or install 8.10 x86.
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

HermanAA wrote:
> I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.
> No Flash-player yet.
>
> I tried the Adobe Flash Player:
>
> n0jn@bsw:~/2$ ls -l
> -r-xr-xr-x 1 n0jn n0jn 21701 2008-11-19 07:53 flashplayer-installer
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 n0jn n0jn 10022452 2008-11-19 07:53 libflashplayer.so
> n0jn@bsw:~/2$ sudo ./flashplayer-installer
>
> ERROR: Your architecture, 'x86_64', is not supported by the
> Adobe Flash Player installer.
>
>
>
Please check:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Loc Martin
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

HermanAA wrote:
> I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.
> No Flash-player yet.

You can use backported 64bits Flash plugins if you're using either
Ubuntu or Kubuntu (if you're using Firefox in Xubuntu with this plugins,
it will crash when trying to read flash videos). They are here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/intrepid-backports/+bug/310061

Please report if they work for you

Loc

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Markus Hitter
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

Am 18.01.2009 um 20:05 schrieb Loc Martin:

> HermanAA wrote:
>> I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.
>> No Flash-player yet.
>
> You can use backported 64bits Flash plugins if you're using either
> Ubuntu or Kubuntu (if you're using Firefox in Xubuntu with this
> plugins,
> it will crash when trying to read flash videos). They are here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/intrepid-backports/+bug/310061

Is nobody using the non-proprietary swfdec? For me, swfdec works fine
on AMD64 and has the extra feature to start flash contents on demand
only. Good bye to all these distracting ads.


MarKus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Knapp
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:



Am 18.01.2009 um 20:05 schrieb Loc Martin:



> HermanAA wrote:

>> I recently installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.10.

>> No Flash-player yet.

>

> You can use backported 64bits Flash plugins if you're using either

> Ubuntu or Kubuntu (if you're using Firefox in Xubuntu with this

> plugins,

> it will crash when trying to read flash videos). They are here:

>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/intrepid-backports/+bug/310061



Is nobody using the non-proprietary swfdec? For me, swfdec works fine

on AMD64 and has the extra feature to start flash contents on demand

only. Good bye to all these distracting ads.





MarKus



Do you use Adblock plus? If not, I recommend it to you. I am always shocked when I use a computer without it. I had no idea there were so many ads on sites I use!
--
Douglas E Knapp


Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Ray Parrish
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

Knapp wrote:
> Do you use Adblock plus? If not, I recommend it to you. I am always
> shocked when I use a computer without it. I had no idea there were so
> many ads on sites I use!
>
> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FFE >
Hello,

It's no wonder I make so little on the ads on my web site with the
number of people who use ad blocking software. I often find the ads on
many sites annoying myself, as many web masters ignore good publishing
practices, and place more ads than content on their pages, sometimes so
many that it can actually be rather difficult to even find the token
offerings of mini content blurbs they rely on to lure visitors to their
pages.

I choose not to block ads, as they can sometimes be a resource that is
appreciated, if they pertain to something that I am looking for, and
appear on pages I find with similar topics to a search in progress. With
my current broadband connection, the additional time required to
download a page with ads isn't objectionable to me as it was when I
still had only dial-up.

When I find one of those "more ads than content" sites, I seldom make
the effort to find their content amongst the many ads placed in the
middle of the page where the content should be, as well as on nearly
every other piece of real estate the page represents. I opt instead to
immediately leave their sites, and continue my search for pages that
offer content first, and ads second.

Unfortunately, this misplacement of ads into the content areas is
actually being encouraged in tips sent to me by my web site's ad
provider, in success stories from unscrupulous publishers who practice
this intrusive technique, so I expect to see more of it in the future.
Many of the top search results offered up often use this "technique" as
it becomes more prevalent, and the search engines seem to favor their
overly commercialized bent.

I prefer to keep ads out of the way of my content on my sites, reserving
the right margin for them, and use the rest of the page for information
related to what the people visiting my site are actually looking for. I
also make an effort to review the sites connected to the ads presented
on my site, to insure that they aren't the type that are ripping people
off, and whenI find one that does, I am able to block their ad from ever
appearing on my site again.

For my efforts in the past year of advertising on two web sites, even
'though my server log analyzer claims that 47% of the people who visit
my site, bookmark it, I have earned a measly $12, and tend to blame this
on irresponsible publishers who have driven people to using ad blocking
software, by over populating their sites with ads in an intrusive,
annoying manner.

Sorry for the very off topic rant, but your recommendation to yet
another person to install ad blocking software hit a sensitive nerve.
8-) I shall continue to publish in a responsible manner, and keep the
ads to a minimum so people can continue to find what they come looking for.

Thanks for listening, Ray Parrish

--
http://www.rayslinks.com/ Web index of human reviewed links.
<http://www.rayslinks.com/Troubleshooting%20and%20fixing%20Windows.html>
Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows
http://www.writingsoftheschizophrenic.com My poetry in web pages


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Knapp
 
Default no flashplayer on 64-bit OS

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> Do you use Adblock plus? If not, I recommend it to you. I am always
>> shocked when I use a computer without it. I had no idea there were so
>> many ads on sites I use!
>>
>> --
>> Douglas E Knapp
>>
>> Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E
>> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FFE >
> Hello,
>
> It's no wonder I make so little on the ads on my web site with the
> number of people who use ad blocking software. I often find the ads on
> many sites annoying myself, as many web masters ignore good publishing
> practices, and place more ads than content on their pages, sometimes so
> many that it can actually be rather difficult to even find the token
> offerings of mini content blurbs they rely on to lure visitors to their
> pages.

Sad but true. I started with Adblocking because of flashing ads. Who
can read with one's eyes get caught all the time by the flashing?


> I choose not to block ads, as they can sometimes be a resource that is
> appreciated, if they pertain to something that I am looking for, and
> appear on pages I find with similar topics to a search in progress. With
> my current broadband connection, the additional time required to
> download a page with ads isn't objectionable to me as it was when I
> still had only dial-up.

I am happy to do the pulling, when I need to buy. Why do I need to
subject myself to the advertising psychologists? These people do not
have my best interests at heart. IT is not like they just draw up a
little ad. No, they pay experts big bucks to find a way into your mind
with tools like PET scans to make sure the right bits of your mind are
being turned on to make you buy without even knowing that they are the
ones that controlled you. This is darkest sort of scientific black
art, pure evil. AdBlock plus frees you from this constant attack and
is really easy to install.


> I prefer to keep ads out of the way of my content on my sites, reserving
> the right margin for them, and use the rest of the page for information
> related to what the people visiting my site are actually looking for. I
> also make an effort to review the sites connected to the ads presented
> on my site, to insure that they aren't the type that are ripping people
> off, and whenI find one that does, I am able to block their ad from ever
> appearing on my site again.

That is good of you but in the end the money wins in the majority of
sites so I am not going to turn off my ad blocking any time soon. I
feel for you needing to make money on your web site but no one likes
ads in their faces. A good site that had ads I did not block was
distrowatch but then their ads started flashing, now they are gone
too.


> For my efforts in the past year of advertising on two web sites, even
> 'though my server log analyzer claims that 47% of the people who visit
> my site, bookmark it, I have earned a measly $12, and tend to blame this
> on irresponsible publishers who have driven people to using ad blocking
> software, by over populating their sites with ads in an intrusive,
> annoying manner.

I am sure you are correct. But, I wish I could run adblock plus on my
TV and magazines too! If I want to buy something, I will google it!

> Sorry for the very off topic rant, but your recommendation to yet
> another person to install ad blocking software hit a sensitive nerve.
> 8-) I shall continue to publish in a responsible manner, and keep the
> ads to a minimum so people can continue to find what they come looking for.
>
> Thanks for listening, Ray Parrish
>
In the end ads use up a huge amount of bandwidth that we all have to
pay for one way or another. I really don't believe in ads on websites
but then I know that people are trying to make a living and these
pushy people will not be getting out of my face any time soon. Thank
God for AdBlock Plus!! Now if we could just get ride of all the spam
senders!!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Amazon Gift Cards; let them choose!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001078FFE?ie=UTF8&tag=seattlebujinkand&linkCode=a s2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001078FF E

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org