Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/229570-usb-thumb-drive-pulled-icon-left-desktop-how-do-i-remove.html)

Leonard Chatagnier 01-17-2009 08:27 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
--- On Sat, 1/17/09, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com>
> Subject: USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 1:54 PM
> Folks,
>
> Yes, I know, I did it wrong...
>
> I did a backup to a thumb drive I had inserted in a USB
> port. After the
> backup task completed and without thinking clearly, I
> simply pulled the
> drive out; now the icon that indicates the 4.1 GB Media is
> mounted
> remains. I have tried to unmount the drive that doesn't
> work and move it
> to trash and that did not work either.
>
> If I put the drive back in a new icon pops up and I can
> unmount it and
> that one goes away. The other one just hangs around...
>
> Short of logging out and back in (I am not sure that will
> work either,
> since a user swap left it) or restarting my system how do I
> go about
> removing this critter?
>
Not sure this will fix it but it's the right way to remove a
thumb drive.
Plug the drive back in and right click the icon selecting
safely remove on the drop down. Do that on both icons if
another appears on the desktop before removing the drive.
Then remove the drive and if you are lucky both icons will
be gone. If that doesn't work, with the drive plugged in
try umount making sure to use the exact dev node name for
the one you exited incorrectly. If neither works, you
need better help from someone else. HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

> Cheers,
> Jay
>
> --
>
>
> Jay Ridgley
> jridgley2@austin.rr.com
> Registered Linux User ID - 9115
> Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Christian Csar 01-17-2009 10:52 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try unmounting
it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something similar. I
believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should not
need root privileges.

Christian

Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Yes, I know, I did it wrong...
>
> I did a backup to a thumb drive I had inserted in a USB port. After the
> backup task completed and without thinking clearly, I simply pulled the
> drive out; now the icon that indicates the 4.1 GB Media is mounted
> remains. I have tried to unmount the drive that doesn't work and move it
> to trash and that did not work either.
>
> If I put the drive back in a new icon pops up and I can unmount it and
> that one goes away. The other one just hangs around...
>
> Short of logging out and back in (I am not sure that will work either,
> since a user swap left it) or restarting my system how do I go about
> removing this critter?
>
> Cheers,
> Jay
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"H.S." 01-17-2009 10:56 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Yes, I know, I did it wrong...
>
> I did a backup to a thumb drive I had inserted in a USB port. After the
> backup task completed and without thinking clearly, I simply pulled the
> drive out; now the icon that indicates the 4.1 GB Media is mounted
> remains. I have tried to unmount the drive that doesn't work and move it
> to trash and that did not work either.
>
> If I put the drive back in a new icon pops up and I can unmount it and
> that one goes away. The other one just hangs around...
>
> Short of logging out and back in (I am not sure that will work either,

Logging back in should work. The nearest I have seen your situation is
when I connect a camera via the USB port. If the camera powers off by
itself (due to long inactivity), the device icon on the desktop does not
go away. If I replug the camera, a new icon appears. I have not been
able to remove the icon that was left over by any other means than to
relogin.

Regards.




--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-18-2009 11:19 AM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Christian Csar wrote:
> Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
> right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try unmounting
> it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something similar. I
> believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should not
> need root privileges.
>
You are wrong. You must be root to use mount and umount in a
terminal. There are some GUI things that appear to let a non-root mount
and umount and they work. But they use a root device to do it.

Karl



> Christian
>
> Jay Ridgley wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Yes, I know, I did it wrong...
>>
>> I did a backup to a thumb drive I had inserted in a USB port. After the
>> backup task completed and without thinking clearly, I simply pulled the
>> drive out; now the icon that indicates the 4.1 GB Media is mounted
>> remains. I have tried to unmount the drive that doesn't work and move it
>> to trash and that did not work either.
>>
>> If I put the drive back in a new icon pops up and I can unmount it and
>> that one goes away. The other one just hangs around...
>>
>> Short of logging out and back in (I am not sure that will work either,
>> since a user swap left it) or restarting my system how do I go about
>> removing this critter?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jay
>>
>>
>
>
>


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Tommy Trussell" 01-19-2009 10:07 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Christian Csar wrote:
>> Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
>> right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try unmounting
>> it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something similar. I
>> believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should not
>> need root privileges.
>>
> You are wrong. You must be root to use mount and umount in a
> terminal. There are some GUI things that appear to let a non-root mount
> and umount and they work. But they use a root device to do it.
>
> Karl

NO... you CAN mount and umount devices as a user (non-root) in a
terminal if the device is set with the correct permissions in fstab or
hal. HOWEVER in many cases you will see a conflict because GNOME or
KDE may have mounted the device and it will be busy because it's
"owned" by those processes. SO if you log out of the GUI and use only
a console ("virtual terminal") you won't have any trouble mounting and
umounting devices as a user.

When you use sudo or root to force the device to umount you may
interfere with an active process, and/or you may corrupt data on the
device if its contents have not finished writing.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-19-2009 10:19 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Christian Csar wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
>>> right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try unmounting
>>> it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something similar. I
>>> believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should not
>>> need root privileges.
>>>
>>>
>> You are wrong. You must be root to use mount and umount in a
>> terminal. There are some GUI things that appear to let a non-root mount
>> and umount and they work. But they use a root device to do it.
>>
>> Karl
>>
>
> NO... you CAN mount and umount devices as a user (non-root) in a
> terminal if the device is set with the correct permissions in fstab or
> hal. HOWEVER in many cases you will see a conflict because GNOME or
> KDE may have mounted the device and it will be busy because it's
> "owned" by those processes. SO if you log out of the GUI and use only
> a console ("virtual terminal") you won't have any trouble mounting and
> umounting devices as a user.
>
> When you use sudo or root to force the device to umount you may
> interfere with an active process, and/or you may corrupt data on the
> device if its contents have not finished writing.
>
>
If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?

karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount: only root can do that
karl@karl-hardy:~$


This makes me think it needs to be root :-)

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Paul Gupta 01-19-2009 10:40 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Karl F. Larsen wrote:

Tommy Trussell wrote:


On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:



Christian Csar wrote:



Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try unmounting
it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something similar. I
believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should not
need root privileges.




You are wrong. You must be root to use mount and umount in a
terminal. There are some GUI things that appear to let a non-root mount
and umount and they work. But they use a root device to do it.

Karl



NO... you CAN mount and umount devices as a user (non-root) in a
terminal if the device is set with the correct permissions in fstab or
hal. HOWEVER in many cases you will see a conflict because GNOME or
KDE may have mounted the device and it will be busy because it's
"owned" by those processes. SO if you log out of the GUI and use only
a console ("virtual terminal") you won't have any trouble mounting and
umounting devices as a user.

When you use sudo or root to force the device to umount you may
interfere with an active process, and/or you may corrupt data on the
device if its contents have not finished writing.




If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?

karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount: only root can do that
karl@karl-hardy:~$


This makes me think it needs to be root :-)

Karl




I know this is going to sound silly...



but have you simply tried rebooting?* The startup scripts tend to clean
up this kind of residue left over from unclean mounts...I think? Since
it's not going to be detected at boot it shouldn't be left there on the
desktop...

--
~Paul


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Paul Gupta 01-19-2009 10:49 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Karl F. Larsen wrote:

Tommy Trussell wrote:


On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:



Christian Csar wrote:



Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try unmounting
it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something similar. I
believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should not
need root privileges.




You are wrong. You must be root to use mount and umount in a
terminal. There are some GUI things that appear to let a non-root mount
and umount and they work. But they use a root device to do it.

Karl



NO... you CAN mount and umount devices as a user (non-root) in a
terminal if the device is set with the correct permissions in fstab or
hal. HOWEVER in many cases you will see a conflict because GNOME or
KDE may have mounted the device and it will be busy because it's
"owned" by those processes. SO if you log out of the GUI and use only
a console ("virtual terminal") you won't have any trouble mounting and
umounting devices as a user.

When you use sudo or root to force the device to umount you may
interfere with an active process, and/or you may corrupt data on the
device if its contents have not finished writing.




If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?

karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount: only root can do that
karl@karl-hardy:~$


This makes me think it needs to be root :-)

Karl




I know this is going to sound silly...



but have you simply tried rebooting?* The startup scripts tend to clean
up this kind of residue left over from unclean mounts...I think? Since
it's not going to be detected at boot it shouldn't be left there on the
desktop...

--
~Paul


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Karl F. Larsen" 01-19-2009 11:00 PM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Paul Gupta wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Tommy Trussell wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Christian Csar wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Assuming that when you say you tried to unmount it you mean that you
>>>>> right clicked and selected unmount, then you could also try
>>>>> unmounting
>>>>> it from the command line i.e. umount /media/disk or something
>>>>> similar. I
>>>>> believe that if you mounted it in the first place, then you should
>>>>> not
>>>>> need root privileges.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> You are wrong. You must be root to use mount and umount in a
>>>> terminal. There are some GUI things that appear to let a non-root
>>>> mount
>>>> and umount and they work. But they use a root device to do it.
>>>>
>>>> Karl
>>>>
>>> NO... you CAN mount and umount devices as a user (non-root) in a
>>> terminal if the device is set with the correct permissions in fstab or
>>> hal. HOWEVER in many cases you will see a conflict because GNOME or
>>> KDE may have mounted the device and it will be busy because it's
>>> "owned" by those processes. SO if you log out of the GUI and use only
>>> a console ("virtual terminal") you won't have any trouble mounting and
>>> umounting devices as a user.
>>>
>>> When you use sudo or root to force the device to umount you may
>>> interfere with an active process, and/or you may corrupt data on the
>>> device if its contents have not finished writing.
>>>
>>>
>> If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>>
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>> mount: only root can do that
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$
>>
>>
>> This makes me think it needs to be root :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>>
> I know this is going to sound silly...
>
> but have you simply tried rebooting? The startup scripts tend to
> clean up this kind of residue left over from unclean mounts...I think?
> Since it's not going to be detected at boot it shouldn't be left there
> on the desktop...
>
Yes I have rebooted several times. This has been the case since way
back into the early days. It just takes root to mount another system to
this one.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"H.S." 01-20-2009 12:37 AM

USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??
 
Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>
> karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
> mount: only root can do that
> karl@karl-hardy:~$
>
> This makes me think it needs to be root :-)


I think you need to lookup 'users' option for mount command. I also
think you need to have a line for your /dev/sda2 device in /etc/fstab
with proper options so that normal users can mount or unmount the
device. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Regards.
->HS




--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.