FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

H.S. wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>>
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>> mount: only root can do that
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$
>>
>> This makes me think it needs to be root :-)
>>
>
>
> I think you need to lookup 'users' option for mount command. I also
> think you need to have a line for your /dev/sda2 device in /etc/fstab
> with proper options so that normal users can mount or unmount the
> device. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Regards.
> ->HS
>
>
>
>
>
Well I have NO idea what your talking about. Fstab has no control
over mount that I am aware of and it is just the way mount works.


Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:13 AM
NoOp
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

On 01/19/2009 05:52 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>
>>> If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>>>
>>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>>> mount: only root can do that
>>> karl@karl-hardy:~$
>>>
>>> This makes me think it needs to be root :-)
>>>
>>
>>
>> I think you need to lookup 'users' option for mount command. I also
>> think you need to have a line for your /dev/sda2 device in /etc/fstab
>> with proper options so that normal users can mount or unmount the
>> device. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

>>
> Well I have NO idea what your talking about. Fstab has no control
> over mount that I am aware of and it is just the way mount works.
>
>
> Karl
>
>

Try:

System:Administration|Users and Groups| unlock and select the user then
Properties|User Privileges and then check 'Access external storage
devices automatically' and see if that makes a difference.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

H.S. wrote:

> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>>
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>> mount: only root can do that
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$
>>
>> This makes me think it needs to be root :-)
>
>
> I think you need to lookup 'users' option for mount command. I also
> think you need to have a line for your /dev/sda2 device in /etc/fstab
> with proper options so that normal users can mount or unmount the
> device. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, and no.

Karl has part of a point - KDE will mount USB devices for you, even when
they aren't in fstab and you aren't root.

If you want to do the mount from a terminal, you either need it in fstab,
with the "user" or "users" option, or you can use "pmount" which should
mount the device under the same conditions that KDE does (see man pmount).



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Derek Broughton
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Well I have NO idea what your talking about. Fstab has no control
> over mount that I am aware of and it is just the way mount works.

Why do you keep doing this to yourself? "man mount" and the "user" and
"users" options should make it entirely obvious just how much fstab controls
mount.

You got this almost right...



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/19/2009 05:52 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> H.S. wrote:
>>
>>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> If this is the case why do I get this error message on Hardy?
>>>>
>>>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt
>>>> mount: only root can do that
>>>> karl@karl-hardy:~$
>>>>
>>>> This makes me think it needs to be root :-)
>>>>
>>>>
>>> I think you need to lookup 'users' option for mount command. I also
>>> think you need to have a line for your /dev/sda2 device in /etc/fstab
>>> with proper options so that normal users can mount or unmount the
>>> device. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
>>>
>
>
>>>
>>>
>> Well I have NO idea what your talking about. Fstab has no control
>> over mount that I am aware of and it is just the way mount works.
>>
>>
>> Karl
>>
>>
>>
>
> Try:
>
> System:Administration|Users and Groups| unlock and select the user then
> Properties|User Privileges and then check 'Access external storage
> devices automatically' and see if that makes a difference.
>
>
>
>
>
I looked and I already have that Item checked.

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>
>> Well I have NO idea what your talking about. Fstab has no control
>> over mount that I am aware of and it is just the way mount works.
>>
>
> Why do you keep doing this to yourself? "man mount" and the "user" and
> "users" options should make it entirely obvious just how much fstab controls
> mount.
>
> You got this almost right...
>
>
>
>
Fstab does NOT control mount, it USES mount. Here is my fstab and
notice there is no /dev/sda2 in fstab.

#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda6
UUID=8713c541-dffa-4fd2-b22b-e600afacbab2 / ext3
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda3
UUID=77cb374a-6349-427e-9b57-ea6776f4a52d none swap
sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
# /dev/sda5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
UUID=40cb6175-3c6e-4a7f-ae57-083cccbbba63 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default USB thumb drive pulled and icon left on desktop - how do I remove it??

Karl F. Larsen wrote:


> Fstab does NOT control mount, it USES mount. Here is my fstab and
> notice there is no /dev/sda2 in fstab.

Don't be a fool. _mount_ uses /etc/fstab, not vice versa. fstab provides
mount with the defaults for particular devices - that is, it _controls_
mount.

> # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> # /dev/sda6
> UUID=8713c541-dffa-4fd2-b22b-e600afacbab2 / ext3
> relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
> # /dev/sda3
> UUID=77cb374a-6349-427e-9b57-ea6776f4a52d none swap
> sw 0 0
> /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0
> 0
> # /dev/sda5 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> UUID=40cb6175-3c6e-4a7f-ae57-083cccbbba63 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

And your point is what? You've already said you need to be root to mount
/dev/sda2 - that's _because_ you haven't got it in fstab. You _don't_ have
to be root to mount /dev/scd0 - because it is in fstab and has the "user"
option. However, /dev/scd0 is only in there for legacy reasons, and would
still mount via hal, udev and pmount, automatically if you removed it from
the fstab file.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org