Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris G

Default HTML table editor wanted.

I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
spans and column spans.

I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.

Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want
but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its
"Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.

I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,
what's its tables like?

--
Chris Green

Old 01-17-2009, 08:51 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. *In particular I

want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row

spans and column spans.

I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a

word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'

file into tables. *I just want it to be simple to use.

Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want

but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its

"Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.

I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,

what's its tables like?

--

Chris Green

You can try Bluefish, Quanta or Konqueror.

Thanks,
Raseel
http://www.opensourcedeal.com

Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM
squareyes

Chris G wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
> want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
> spans and column spans.
>
> I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
> word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
> file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.
>
> Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want
> but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its
> "Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.
>
> I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,
> what's its tables like?

Hi,
have you had a look at Bluefish? Has a lot of table options.
Hope this helps.
Winton

Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 AM
squareyes

Old 01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:13:38PM +1030, squareyes wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
> > want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
> > spans and column spans.
> >
> > I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
> > word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
> > file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.
> >
> > Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want
> > but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its
> > "Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.
> >
> > I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,
> > what's its tables like?
> >

> Hi,
> have you had a look at Bluefish? Has a lot of table options.
> Hope this helps.
> Winton

I tried Bluefish a long time ago but not for the specific job I have
in mind at the moment so I'll take another look, thanks.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:13:38PM +1030, squareyes wrote:
>
>> Chris G wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
>>> want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
>>> spans and column spans.
>>>
>>> I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
>>> word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
>>> file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.
>>>
>>> Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want
>>> but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its
>>> "Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.
>>>
>>> I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,
>>> what's its tables like?
>>>

>> Hi,
>> have you had a look at Bluefish? Has a lot of table options.
>> Hope this helps.
>> Winton
>>

> I tried Bluefish a long time ago but not for the specific job I have
> in mind at the moment so I'll take another look, thanks.

I am playing with Open Office 2.4 and I wrote a web page on the
editor and then got it to be saved as a HTML file and it did so. On
Firefox it looked good.

I have not tried any boxes. I know from the OO help that all
pictures are saved as .jpl files. I wonder if you could make your boxes
a picture?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:52:02PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:13:38PM +1030, squareyes wrote:
> > Chris G wrote:
> > > I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
> > > want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
> > > spans and column spans.
> > >
> > > I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
> > > word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
> > > file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.
> > >
> > > Currently I'm using reStructuredText which does most of what I want
> > > but its "Grid Table" syntax for tables is laborious to use and its
> > > "Simple Tables" don't give me all the row and column spans I need.
> > >
> > > I might take a look at Open Office, I assume that can generate HTML,
> > > what's its tables like?
> > >

> > Hi,
> > have you had a look at Bluefish? Has a lot of table options.
> > Hope this helps.
> > Winton
> >
> I tried Bluefish a long time ago but not for the specific job I have
> in mind at the moment so I'll take another look, thanks.

I just took a look, Bluefish doesn't really make column spans or row
spans easy and those are specifically what I want to do. I'm not even
sure if it really knows about them.

I'm after constructing tables with the following sort of (ASCII art) layout:-

+---------+---------+---------+
| | | |
+---------+---------+---------+
| | |
+---------+---------+---------+
| | | |
+---------+---------+ |
| | | |
+---------+---------+ |
| | | |
+---------+---------+---------+

The above would actually work in reStructuredText but it's labourious
and messy to enter with an editor and I'm looking for an easier way to
do it.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:01:21AM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Chris G wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >> have you had a look at Bluefish? Has a lot of table options.
> >> Hope this helps.
> >> Winton
> >>

> > I tried Bluefish a long time ago but not for the specific job I have
> > in mind at the moment so I'll take another look, thanks.
> >

> I am playing with Open Office 2.4 and I wrote a web page on the
> editor and then got it to be saved as a HTML file and it did so. On
> Firefox it looked good.
>
> I have not tried any boxes. I know from the OO help that all
> pictures are saved as .jpl files. I wonder if you could make your boxes
> a picture?

I really want the result as tables so that I can enter text in the
boxes easily and it all scales properly. Open Office is something I'm
going to look into though.

--
Chris Green

Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:40:45 +0000
Chris G wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
> want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
> spans and column spans.
>
> I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
> word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
> file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.

Although I normally use Bluefish, if I'm doing a complicated table I
use Nvu, which is wysiwyg, to create the table and
then transfer the code to Bluefish.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

Old 01-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 03:07:05PM +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:40:45 +0000
> Chris G wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a simple way to create HTML tables. In particular I
> > want to be able to create tables with various (and fairly random) row
> > spans and column spans.
> >
> > I don't really mind how it works, it can be a Web based application, a
> > word-processor look-alike, or something that converts a text 'source'
> > file into tables. I just want it to be simple to use.
>
> Although I normally use Bluefish, if I'm doing a complicated table I
> use Nvu, which is wysiwyg, to create the table and
> then transfer the code to Bluefish.

I just installed nvu/kompozer and I get version 0.7.10, it frequently
crashes with a segmentation fault when I edit tables. Otherwise it's
just about exactly what I want.

--
Chris Green