Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Alain Muls

Default sreen session and scp

Hi

I have a number crunching PC on which I login remotely. I modified the .bashrc on the server so that I login into an existing screen session or a new one is created.

If I want to scp a file over to the server, I now get the error that "should be connected to a terminal". How can I modify the .bashrc on the server so that it still logins to a screen session but allows to scp over files.

Tx/Alain

Alain MULS alain.muls@telenet.be

CISS-GENA +32.2.7426340

Renaissance Avenue 30

1000 BRUSSELS - Belgium

Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 01-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Samstag, den 17.01.2009, 13:20 +0100 schrieb Alain Muls:
> I have a number crunching PC on which I login remotely. I modified
> the .bashrc on the server so that I login into an existing screen
> session or a new one is created.
> If I want to scp a file over to the server, I now get the error that
> "should be connected to a terminal". How can I modify the .bashrc on
> the server so that it still logins to a screen session but allows to
> scp over files.

Changing the screen invocation in your .bashrc to something like this
should help:

if [ -n "$PS1" -a "$TERM" != "screen" ]; then
screen -xRR
fi

[x] ulf
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Ulf Rompe

Am Montag, den 19.01.2009, 07:45 +0100 schrieb Ulf Rompe:
> Changing the screen invocation in your .bashrc to something like this
> should help:
>

> if [ -n "$PS1" -a "$TERM" != "screen" ]; then
> screen -xRR
> fi

Just tested: To get rid of the useless bash instance, exec screen:

if [ -n "$PS1" -a "$TERM" != "screen" ]; then
exec screen -xRR
fi

[x] ulf
--
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.