Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Wade Smart

Default How to find IP address of a machine on network?

Chris G wrote:
> I have just installed ubuntu onto a machine and have connected it to
> my LAN. The router provides DHCP and the new machine is up and
> running on the network.
>
> How do I connect *to* the machine? I need to know its IP address and,
> as there are a few devices which get their address by DHCP it's not at
> all obvious what the machine's address is.
>
> Eventually I will probably give it a fixed address (for this reason
> among others).

20090116 1133 GMT-5

System > Network Toos > Devices Tab, select eth0 and it will tell you
the ip of that machine.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Linux since June 2005

Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Wade Smart

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Neil Cherry

Chris G wrote:
> I have just installed ubuntu onto a machine and have connected it to
> my LAN. The router provides DHCP and the new machine is up and
> running on the network.
>
> How do I connect *to* the machine? I need to know its IP address and,
> as there are a few devices which get their address by DHCP it's not at
> all obvious what the machine's address is.
>
> Eventually I will probably give it a fixed address (for this reason
> among others).

From the command line:

ifconfig

Output will look like this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:B9:13:14:38
inet addr:192.168.24.99 Bcast:192.168.24.0 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x1000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:30124 (29.4 Kb) TX bytes:30124 (29.4 Kb)

Note that this machine does not have it's WiFi enabled. This machine's
IP address is 192.168.24.99 (eth0). You could get fancy by using
regular expressions (egrep) but that might seem a bit scary for the
uninitiated.

Hmm, odd that machine appears to have broken counters, oh well I'll
fix that later.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Florian Primessnig

hi,
u dont need to setup a static ip-adress. configure your dhcp server to
provide host&domainnames for clients by MAC adresses.
or u could configure a proper machine name on that client that can be
resolved on your lan, e.g. like myclient.local

Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Chris G wrote:

> I have just installed ubuntu onto a machine and have connected it to
> my LAN. The router provides DHCP and the new machine is up and
> running on the network.
>
> How do I connect *to* the machine? I need to know its IP address and,
> as there are a few devices which get their address by DHCP it's not at
> all obvious what the machine's address is.
>
> Eventually I will probably give it a fixed address (for this reason
> among others).

Pointless. Have you tried just addressing it by name? Decent routers set
up the DNS too.

I see so many people telling us that they "need" static IPs, but the
technology is way beyond that.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:34:11AM -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > I have just installed ubuntu onto a machine and have connected it to
> > my LAN. The router provides DHCP and the new machine is up and
> > running on the network.
> >
> > How do I connect *to* the machine? I need to know its IP address and,
> > as there are a few devices which get their address by DHCP it's not at
> > all obvious what the machine's address is.
> >
> > Eventually I will probably give it a fixed address (for this reason
> > among others).
> >

> 20090116 1133 GMT-5
>
> System > Network Toos > Devices Tab, select eth0 and it will tell you
> the ip of that machine.

OK, thanks, not much use from the other end though is it!

--
Chris Green

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 01:09:53PM -0500, Alex Katebi wrote:
> Go to your router. [1]http://192.168.1.1 and you can see all the active
> devices with thier ip addresses.

... and how do I know which is which?

--
Chris Green

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Nils Kassube

Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:34:11AM -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> > Chris G wrote:
> > > How do I connect *to* the machine? I need to know its IP address
> > > and, as there are a few devices which get their address by DHCP
> > > it's not at all obvious what the machine's address is.
> >
> > System > Network Toos > Devices Tab, select eth0 and it will tell you
> > the ip of that machine.
>
> OK, thanks, not much use from the other end though is it!

Well, as long as you don't install any servers you can't connect. I
suppose you want to install the package "openssh-server" and then you can
use ssh to connect to the machine.

Nils

Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:08:26PM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Chris G wrote:
> > >
> > > System > Network Toos > Devices Tab, select eth0 and it will tell you
> > > the ip of that machine.
> >
> > OK, thanks, not much use from the other end though is it!
>
> Well, as long as you don't install any servers you can't connect. I
> suppose you want to install the package "openssh-server" and then you can
> use ssh to connect to the machine.

Quite right, so I have a machine that runs sshd and I want to connect
to it and I know it's on the LAN but not its IP address.

--
Chris Green