Old 12-25-2007, 10:02 PM
"Yuelin Li"

Default compromised apache2?

I have noticed unexpected tcp connections whenever I start
/etc/init.d/apache2 (see netsstat output below). These connections
appear in a couple of minutes, first the top two entries, then four
and stay at four. I am not running any other web-related utilities,
no firefox. I can't explain why I see them. These connections go away
almost immediately when I stop apache2.

My questions are: 1) is my apache2 installation compromised? and 2)
if so, how should I remediate it? Many thanks in advance,

Yuelin.

% netstat -atu
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 sky.local:www 91-110-14-210.server:96 SYN_RECV
tcp 0 0 sky.local:www 91-110-14-210.serve:www SYN_RECV
tcp 0 0 sky.local:www 91-110-14-210.serve:216 SYN_RECV
tcp 0 0 sky.local:www 91-110-14-210.serve:236 SYN_RECV
tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN

communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If
computer.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Derek Broughton

Yuelin Li wrote:

Ugh. Please don't send ugly, non-legal 13 page sigs. if you were using
a .com address, I'd say stop using your employer's email to send to lists,
but since it's .org, it's unlikely even to be required. That's just
calculated to annoy us.

> I have noticed unexpected tcp connections whenever I start
> /etc/init.d/apache2 (see netsstat output below). These connections
> appear in a couple of minutes, first the top two entries, then four
> and stay at four. I am not running any other web-related utilities,
> no firefox. I can't explain why I see them. These connections go away
> almost immediately when I stop apache2.
>
> My questions are: 1) is my apache2 installation compromised? and 2)
> if so, how should I remediate it? Many thanks in advance,

> % netstat -atu
# netstat -atun
would be nicer.

It seems unlikely - 91-110-14-210.server is not a valid Internet name, so
it's probably local to your lan.

I'm not quite sure which of these 7 entries you think are problematic, but
all the LISTEN sockets are normal:

> tcp 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN

Apache server.

> tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:* LISTEN

Print server

> tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN

ssh daemon.
--
derek

Old 12-26-2007, 12:36 AM
"Yuelin Li"

Found a solution. It appears to be a denial of service attack.
See http://ubuntu-help.info/

Yuelin.