Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Default replacement for VLC: I dont want Qt

Justin wrote:
> There is nothing like VLC except VLC. Everything else uses external
> backends and codecs whether it be gstreamer, xine, etc. I should note
> that while VLC does use qt4 now, it doesn't use any kdelibs or anything.
> The extra overhead from qt4 instead of gtk is extremely minimal.

the other extremely versatile player might be mplayer, but you are
correct, it needs to have codecs to work as brilliantly as it does.

Eberhard

Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
>> There is nothing like VLC except VLC. Everything else uses external
>> backends and codecs whether it be gstreamer, xine, etc. I should note
>> that while VLC does use qt4 now, it doesn't use any kdelibs or anything.
>> The extra overhead from qt4 instead of gtk is extremely minimal.
>>

> the other extremely versatile player might be mplayer, but you are
> correct, it needs to have codecs to work as brilliantly as it does.
>
> Eberhard

There is no replacement for VLC. VLC as soon as you install it works
with EVERYTHING but DVD movies right away. With Totem it can't get out
of it's own way without a lot of codecs added. But then the real charm
of VLC is the way it works. You can view anything full screen or less.
Sound is there and adjustable.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2009/1/16 Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) <mihamina@lab.vectoris.fr>:
> Hi,
> I noticed the latest VLC is now using Qt.
> Great.
> Would you know another player that would support as much format out of
> the box as him, but that could have a GTK front-end?
> A player packaged for Ubuntu would be great.

That would be either mplayer (add codecs) or xine (add interface).

Can you please teach us what is objectionable about Qt? I am very
happy with the Qt apps running on my system, including Google Earth,
Skype, VLC, and Opera.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 01-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Loc Martin

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed the latest VLC is now using Qt.
> Great.
> Would you know another player that would support as much format out of
> the box as him, but that could have a GTK front-end?
> A player packaged for Ubuntu would be great.

For times when VLC doesn't work well I've found SMPlayer (frontend to
MPlayer) a good alternative, especially for some 1080p content that VLC
chokes on on my computer (Q9550, 4Gb Ram so it's not the computer at
fault, maybe Ubuntu's version of VLC?).

Loc

Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Christopher Chan

Justin wrote:
> There is nothing like VLC except VLC. Everything else uses external
> backends and codecs whether it be gstreamer, xine, etc. I should note
> that while VLC does use qt4 now, it doesn't use any kdelibs or anything.
> The extra overhead from qt4 instead of gtk is extremely minimal.

What extra overhead from qt4?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Paul Gupta

Christopher Chan wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> There is nothing like VLC except VLC. Everything else uses external
>> backends and codecs whether it be gstreamer, xine, etc. I should note
>> that while VLC does use qt4 now, it doesn't use any kdelibs or anything.
>> The extra overhead from qt4 instead of gtk is extremely minimal.
>>

> What extra overhead from qt4?

Wait, since when does VLC use qt?

Are they releasing a QT and a wxwidgets version now?

Confused,
Paul

Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Justin

VLC switched from wx to qt when they went from the 0.8.x series to the 0.9.x series and is now qt only.

And the extra overhead is from having both libraries installed and loaded, as opposed to a pure gtk environment. Still, we're talking about an extremely minimal amount on any system that's already capable of running Ubuntu.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Christopher Chan

> And the extra overhead is from having both libraries installed and
> loaded, as opposed to a pure gtk environment. Still, we're talking about
> an extremely minimal amount on any system that's already capable of
> running Ubuntu.

/me uses the kde desktop. :-P

That 'overhead' has no bearing on performance of vlc except for
first-time startup if the qt shared libraries are not loaded.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Paul Gupta

1) Every little bit counts, Ubuntu IS bloated because of this kind of
"what's a little more?" thinking. That's my opinion and it's not going
to change until Ubuntu is snappier on my system than the new Windows 7
build...(Yeah, that's right, I said it...)

But anyway, the real question, is it running BOTH wx AND qt now? What do
you mean by "both libraries installed and loaded"? Do you mean wx/qt or
qt/gtk?

Thanks for dealing with my stupidity!

Paul

Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 AM
David Fox

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Loc Martin <loic.martin3@gmail.com> wrote:

> For times when VLC doesn't work well I've found SMPlayer (frontend to
> MPlayer) a good alternative, especially for some 1080p content that VLC

Does the issue go away when using the 'cvlc' frontend to vlc - maybe
that is not qt?