Old 12-25-2007, 08:54 PM
James Black

Default Vista/XP/Ubuntu Partition Question...

hello all.

I'll try and make this short and sweet.
I had gotten a new Gateway laptop last month. The first thing i did was
installed Ubuntu GG 7.10 on it. But now my Vista wont boot. I can see
the bootloader when choosing but it wont load my OS. Instead, it loads
the recovery console that came with the system. Now, i really dont care
about Vista and instead want to downgrade to XP. But when i put the disc
in to run from it, i get an error message telling something about the
HDD not being connected, check the cable. I did some google research and
it seems the installation program isn't reading the HD. My question is,
cant i use a linux application to remove/delete that partition? I am
also looking forward to backing up my entire ubuntu before i do this.

Another question on subject is, i'd be dual booting but installing
windows second. Will this be an issue? I ask because i read somewhere
that the proper way to do it is install windows THEN linux.

Thanx for all your answers.

-JB

Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Derek Broughton

James Black wrote:

> want to downgrade to XP. But when i put the disc
> in to run from it, i get an error message telling something about the
> HDD not being connected, check the cable. I did some google research and
> it seems the installation program isn't reading the HD. My question is,
> cant i use a linux application to remove/delete that partition? I am
> also looking forward to backing up my entire ubuntu before i do this.

Certainly. Any of the partitioning programs will do it - just delete the
partition and recreate it as FAT32 or NTFS (I suggest recreating it only
because I don't trust Windows to install _only_ into free space, if it
doesn't find a FAT/NTFS partition at the beginning of the drive).
gparted/qtparted (depending whether you are using Gnome/KDE) are simplest.

> Another question on subject is, i'd be dual booting but installing
> windows second. Will this be an issue? I ask because i read somewhere
> that the proper way to do it is install windows THEN linux.

It's not the "proper" way, just the simplest, because Windows makes no
attempt to preserve your ability to multi-boot. However, when you
installed Linux, it set up grub for you, so then you just need to recreate
your grub boot setup. Essentially boot from a LiveCD and issue
a "grub-install" command from a terminal. I don't remember the exact
command, but if you google in this group for my name and "grub-install
livecd" you should find the way I've done it before.
--
derek

Old 12-25-2007, 10:31 PM
James Black

Derek Broughton wrote:

James Black wrote:

[...]

Thanx for the reply. I have gnome. so i'm guessing i am going to need
gparted because it has a g in front of it. Does it have a GUI? cuz
idont know command that well.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 AM
James Black

thanx for the reply.
happy holidays

Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 AM
"John Toliver"

Yes just look in synaptic for gparted and it should come up immediately.* At this point I really don't care for it too much because when it reads the drives it takes forever (~5 mins) to finish and then you can work.* The program layout is nice enough but it takes some getting used to...my point is you can get it easy enough.

My other concern, and this is fresh in my mind, because I just finished configuring dual boot for XP and Gutsy on my T23.* Everyone, and I mean everyone I've talked to says you can't setup dual boot with XP being installed second.* XP needs to be installed first.* Then pop in a iive CD and ubuntu carves space out of the partitions afterward.

I would love for someone to jump in and tell me I'm wrong.* I think it's ridiculous.* The comment above about "grub-install" from a live CD terminal seems promising though, if you've installed Gutsy first.

After you have safely backed up your partition tell me how successfully Ubuntu recognizes your settings when you restore them.

On Dec 26, 2007 12:31 AM, James Black <
text4909@gmail.com> wrote:
thanx for the reply.
happy holidays

Derek Broughton wrote:
> James Black wrote:
>

>> want to downgrade to XP. But when i put the disc
>> in to run from it, i get an error message telling something about the

>> HDD not being connected, check the cable. I did some google research and
>> it seems the installation program isn't reading the HD. My question is,
>> cant i use a linux application to remove/delete that partition? I am

>> also looking forward to backing up my entire ubuntu before i do this.
>>

> Certainly. *Any of the partitioning programs will do it - just delete the
> partition and recreate it as FAT32 or NTFS (I suggest recreating it only

> because I don't trust Windows to install _only_ into free space, if it
> doesn't find a FAT/NTFS partition at the beginning of the drive).
> gparted/qtparted (depending whether you are using Gnome/KDE) are simplest.

>> Another question on subject is, i'd be dual booting but installing
>> windows second. Will this be an issue? I ask because i read somewhere
>> that the proper way to do it is install windows THEN linux.

> It's not the "proper" way, just the simplest, because Windows makes no
> attempt to preserve your ability to multi-boot. *However, when you
> installed Linux, it set up grub for you, so then you just need to recreate

> your grub boot setup. Essentially boot from a LiveCD and issue
> a "grub-install" command from a terminal. *I don't remember the exact
> command, but if you google in this group for my name and "grub-install

> livecd" you should find the way I've done it before.

Patience yields far greater results than brute force or rage ever could so relax......it's just life !!!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:38 AM
James Black

I'm working on it right now. I am backing up the Windows recovery
partition before i wipe it. then i'm going to install the drivers for my
HDD so i can backlevel to XP. After re-installing the grub, i'll post my
results.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Derek Broughton

John Toliver wrote:

> My other concern, and this is fresh in my mind, because I just finished
> configuring dual boot for XP and Gutsy on my T23. Everyone, and I mean
> everyone I've talked to says you can't setup dual boot with XP being
> installed second. XP needs to be installed first. Then pop in a iive CD
> and ubuntu carves space out of the partitions afterward.
>
> I would love for someone to jump in and tell me I'm wrong. I think it's
> ridiculous. The comment above about "grub-install" from a live CD
> terminal seems promising though, if you've installed Gutsy first.

I don't see how you can say "everyone", after I just gave that advice. I've
done it - and more than once.

http://www.nabble.com/problem-with-GRUB-to11733739.html
was for a much more difficult case (boot from an external drive) but the
principle's the same.
--
derek

Old 12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
"John Toliver"

I don't see how you can say "everyone", after I just gave that advice. *I've

done it - and more than once.*What I originally said: "Everyone, and I mean everyone I've talked to says you can't setup dual boot with XP being installed second" -I just didn't get the chance to talk to you :-)

I happened to start a thread earlier here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2007-December/131897.html

*

and I think on another thread as well but I didn't get any takers here...but all responses I did receive say "XP first" , which I agree it really shouldn't matter but, until recently, and I admit this wasn't an exhaustive search, all info says let XP setup finish (probably due to it not wanting to install itself in a dual boot environment and what it might do to grub etc.)

http://www.nabble.com/problem-with-GRUB-to11733739.html

was for a much more difficult case (boot from an external drive) but the
principle's the same.
--
derek
I'll spend some time in this thread later thanks for the information.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 PM
BIll

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 13:57 -0500, John Toliver wrote:

> I don't see how you can say "everyone", after I just gave that
> advice. I've
> done it - and more than once.
>
> What I originally said: "Everyone, and I mean everyone I've talked to
> says you can't setup dual boot with XP being installed second" -I just
> didn't get the chance to talk to you :-)

I believe that this is due to windoz want to take the whole partition to
install. If you had multiple partitions already there shouldn't be a
problem as far as XP is concerned, vista I don't know about.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM
James Takac

On Friday 28 December 2007 00:58:09 Derek Broughton wrote:
> John Toliver wrote:
> > My other concern, and this is fresh in my mind, because I just finished
> > configuring dual boot for XP and Gutsy on my T23. Everyone, and I mean
> > everyone I've talked to says you can't setup dual boot with XP being
> > installed second. XP needs to be installed first. Then pop in a iive CD
> > and ubuntu carves space out of the partitions afterward.
> >
> > I would love for someone to jump in and tell me I'm wrong. I think it's
> > ridiculous. The comment above about "grub-install" from a live CD
> > terminal seems promising though, if you've installed Gutsy first.
>
> I don't see how you can say "everyone", after I just gave that advice.
> I've done it - and more than once.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/problem-with-GRUB-to11733739.html
> was for a much more difficult case (boot from an external drive) but the
> principle's the same.
> --
> derek

Hi Derek

I'm a relative newbie myself to the ubuntu scene and have successfully done
the dual boot ubuntu first and windows last. Just had to reinstall grub which
was no biggie

James