Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 AM
"kukulcan (Quetzalcoatl P. H.)"

Default detecting silence in ogg files

Hi

I've been trying to detect wheter if a file is recorded with just silence or it has some noise in it, i thoug that ogginfo would help, but there is no info about the noise that the file has ( PSNR [signal-noise] ) or anyhting that i think would help me

is there any utility i can use to know if it has sound on it?, the idea is to use it in a script over houndreds of .ogg files so i know that which worths to hear it...

Old 01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Brian McKee

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:12 PM, kukulcan (Quetzalcoatl P. H.)
<keeper_apesta@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying to detect wheter if a file is recorded with just silence or
> it has some noise in it, i thoug that ogginfo would help, but there is no
> info about the noise that the file has ( PSNR [signal-noise] ) or anyhting
> that i think would help me
>
> is there any utility i can use to know if it has sound on it?, the idea is
> to use it in a script over houndreds of .ogg files so i know that which
> worths to hear it...

Just a complete wild a** guess..... based on the *assumption* that
if it's silent it should compress a lot better.

If ogginfo tells you how long the recording is, and you compare the
length of the recording to the file size you might be able to come up
with some sort of a ratio there.

Easy enough to test anyway.

HTH

Brian