Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
"H.S."

Default extern hard drives

Doug Pollard wrote:
> HI All,
> I have a dual boot system with xp and ubuntu8.04 running. I also
> have two usb hard drives with media on them. I formatted them with
> gparted as fat 32 with the thought that I would be able to read with
> ubuntu and xp. Xp cannot see either drive. Does any one have any idea
> why Xp can't see the drives. Xp is using ntfs should it be able to see
> and read fat 32 drives??
> Doug

Yes, XP should be able to see FAT32 filesystem. BTW, I believe XP comes
with USB drivers built in, correct?

When you used gparted, you partitioned the drives as fat32. But did you
also create filesystems on them? Did you save any data on them from Ubuntu?

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Doug Pollard

H.S. wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> HI All,
>> I have a dual boot system with xp and ubuntu8.04 running. I also
>> have two usb hard drives with media on them. I formatted them with
>> gparted as fat 32 with the thought that I would be able to read with
>> ubuntu and xp. Xp cannot see either drive. Does any one have any idea
>> why Xp can't see the drives. Xp is using ntfs should it be able to see
>> and read fat 32 drives??
>> Doug
>>

> Yes, XP should be able to see FAT32 filesystem. BTW, I believe XP comes
> with USB drivers built in, correct?
>
> When you used gparted, you partitioned the drives as fat32. But did you
> also create filesystems on them? Did you save any data on them from Ubuntu?
>
> ->HS

The drives are formated by Gparted and are labeled Media. I guess this
means I created a file partition? There are ubuntu Pictures, other files
and video on one drive. The second drive is empty. If I knew how, I
would divide the empty hard drive to save ubuntu back up and xp back up
in another partition .
I hope this answeres your question??

Doug

Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
John Hubbard

Doug Pollard wrote:
[snip]
> Xp cannot see either drive.
Can you elaborate on this. Can XP not see a formated partition, or can
XP not see that something is plugged into its USB port?

--
-john

2b || !2b
(0b10)*(0b1100010) || !(0b10)*(0b1100010)
0b11000100 || !0b11000100
0b11000100 || 0b00111011
0b11111111
255, that is the answer.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
"H.S."

Doug Pollard wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Doug Pollard wrote:
>>
>>> HI All,
>>> I have a dual boot system with xp and ubuntu8.04 running. I also
>>> have two usb hard drives with media on them. I formatted them with
>>> gparted as fat 32 with the thought that I would be able to read with
>>> ubuntu and xp. Xp cannot see either drive. Does any one have any idea
>>> why Xp can't see the drives. Xp is using ntfs should it be able to see
>>> and read fat 32 drives??
>>> Doug
>>>

>> Yes, XP should be able to see FAT32 filesystem. BTW, I believe XP comes
>> with USB drivers built in, correct?
>>
>> When you used gparted, you partitioned the drives as fat32. But did you
>> also create filesystems on them? Did you save any data on them from Ubuntu?
>>
>> ->HS
>>

> The drives are formated by Gparted and are labeled Media. I guess this
> means I created a file partition? There are ubuntu Pictures, other files
> and video on one drive. The second drive is empty. If I knew how, I
> would divide the empty hard drive to save ubuntu back up and xp back up
> in another partition .
> I hope this answeres your question??
>
> Doug

The first drive then should have a file system. Not sure why you cannot
see this in XP. The other drive may or may, I cannot tell from the above.

Can you do one more thing? Boot into Ubuntu, connect both the drives and
then in a terminal give the command:
$> mount

and paste the output here while noting which lines in the output are for
the usb drives (they should start with /dev/sdxn) where x is a,b,c...z
and n is 1,2...

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Doug Pollard

H.S. wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> H.S. wrote:

>>> Yes, XP should be able to see FAT32 filesystem. BTW, I believe XP comes
>>> with USB drivers built in, correct?
>>>
>>> When you used gparted, you partitioned the drives as fat32. But did you
>>> also create filesystems on them? Did you save any data on them from Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> ->HS
>>>

>> The drives are formated by Gparted and are labeled Media. I guess this
>> means I created a file partition? There are ubuntu Pictures, other files
>> and video on one drive. The second drive is empty. If I knew how, I
>> would divide the empty hard drive to save ubuntu back up and xp back up
>> in another partition .
>> I hope this answeres your question??
>>
>> Doug
>>

> The first drive then should have a file system. Not sure why you cannot
> see this in XP. The other drive may or may, I cannot tell from the above.
>
> Can you do one more thing? Boot into Ubuntu, connect both the drives and
> then in a terminal give the command:
> $> mount
>
> and paste the output here while noting which lines in the output are for
> the usb drives (they should start with /dev/sdxn) where x is a,b,c...z
> and n is 1,2...
>
> ->HS

Below as you requested. Aloso the drive here is the second drive on my
computer the first has xp installed.

doug@doug-Linux:~$ mount
/dev/sdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/doug/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=doug)
doug@doug-Linux:~$

Doug

Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
jerry

Doug Pollard wrote:
> HI All,
> I have a dual boot system with xp and ubuntu8.04 running. I also
> have two usb hard drives with media on them. I formatted them with
> gparted as fat 32 with the thought that I would be able to read with
> ubuntu and xp. Xp cannot see either drive. Does any one have any idea
> why Xp can't see the drives. Xp is using ntfs should it be able to see
> and read fat 32 drives??
> Doug

If XP cannot see the drives in My Computer try to go in XP to Control
Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management >Storage >Disk Management >
locate external usb drive.Sometimes the drive letters get messed up and
you have to manually assign a drive letter. Usually better to use the
letter J or higher.
Hope this helps
Jerry

Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
"H.S."

Doug Pollard wrote:

> Below as you requested. Aloso the drive here is the second drive on my
> computer the first has xp installed.
>

> doug@doug-Linux:~$ mount
> /dev/sdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
> varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
> securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
> gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/doug/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=doug)
> doug@doug-Linux:~$
>
> Doug

hmm ... let me get this correct. If the above output is while your USB
disks are connected, then is sdb one of your USB disks? Is Ubuntu
installed on its first partition (sdb1)? Also, was the second USB disk
also connected when you gave the above command?

In any case, sdb1 partition cannot be seen from XP since it is an ext3
filesystem (XP doesn't support that).

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 PM
mohamed beyrem makhlouf

you may format your disk in ntfs

linux support it now

Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Doug Pollard

H.S. wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>> Below as you requested. Aloso the drive here is the second drive on my
>> computer the first has xp installed.
>>

>> doug@doug-Linux:~$ mount
>> /dev/sdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
>> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>> /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
>> varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
>> varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
>> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
>> devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
>> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
>> lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-23-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
>> securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
>> gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/doug/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=doug)
>> doug@doug-Linux:~$
>>
>> Doug
>>

> hmm ... let me get this correct. If the above output is while your USB
> disks are connected, then is sdb one of your USB disks? Is Ubuntu
> installed on its first partition (sdb1)? Also, was the second USB disk
> also connected when you gave the above command?
>
> In any case, sdb1 partition cannot be seen from XP since it is an ext3
> filesystem (XP doesn't support that).
>
> ->HS

The first drive has XP on it and does not show upon the above output
from terminal. Ubuntu is installed on /dv/sdb1 this is the drive
shown inthe terminal output and it is an internal drive. I then have
/dev/sdc1 ( usb drive) this drive has media on it. The last drive is
/dev/sdd1 (USB drive) this drive is empty.

Doug

Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Doug Pollard

jerry wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> HI All,
>> I have a dual boot system with xp and ubuntu8.04 running. I also
>> have two usb hard drives with media on them. I formatted them with
>> gparted as fat 32 with the thought that I would be able to read with
>> ubuntu and xp. Xp cannot see either drive. Does any one have any idea
>> why Xp can't see the drives. Xp is using ntfs should it be able to see
>> and read fat 32 drives??
>> Doug
>>

> If XP cannot see the drives in My Computer try to go in XP to Control
> Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management >Storage >Disk Management >
> locate external usb drive.Sometimes the drive letters get messed up and
> you have to manually assign a drive letter. Usually better to use the
> letter J or higher.
> Hope this helps
> Jerry

Jerry, Went back to XP and tried as you suggested and got one drive
to show up I have not yet tried to save anything to it . Marked the
other drive as "M" and looks ok in disk manager but does not show up in
My computer. I think there is something wrong with the formating that
xp doesn't like???

Doug