Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Thufir

Default apt install tomcat

The directions at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/tomcat.html

don't explain, at least that I can understand, where CATALINA_HOME is
located. I eventually got:

thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ pwd
/home/thufir
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ tomcat6-instance-create my-instance
* New Tomcat instance created in my-instance
* You might need to change server ports in my-instance/conf/server.xml
to avoid conflict with other services that might use them.
* Run my-instance/bin/startup.sh to start your Tomcat instance
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ my-instance/bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/thufir/my-instance
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat6
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/thufir/my-instance/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ ll /usr/share/tomcat6/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-01-14 22:34 bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-01-14 22:34 lib
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2009-01-15 00:27 skel
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2009-01-14 22:34 webapps
thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$

but, CATALINA_HOME still isn't *really* at /usr/share/tomcat6/ because,
as Netbeans complains about, there's not conf directory. How do I
configure tomcat for netbeans and vice-versa? Netbeans, basically, just
wants to know where CATALINA_HOME is located. I tried configuring as per
above for CATALINA_HOME, but, correctly, netbeans rejected that directory
with an error that <CATALINA_HOME>/conf/server.xml was corrupt (meaning
not found). So, I also input the CATALINA_BASE path into netbeans and got
past the configuration, but that was futile as netbeans failed to
actually run the web application.

From experience, I guess I'll just download the files from apache. I'd
rather use the package manager, but that seems harder than manually
downloading

Is there something I'm not understanding? There's some magical way to
setup CATALINA_HOME after installing from apt? The reaction from tomcat
users is just not to use apt

-Thufir

Old 01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Thufir

Thufir <hawat.thufir <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The directions at:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/tomcat.html
>
> don't explain, at least that I can understand, where CATALINA_HOME is
> located.
[...]

I just received a private e-mail regarding this. For the record, the response
from the developers can be found here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/170950/focus=27336

-Thufir