Old 01-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Markus Schönhaber

Default Select JVM for NetBeans

Thufir:

> why does default-java link to the openjdk? I can manually change that,
> but shouldn't update-alternatives have changed it?

I don't have a default-java symlink. Where does yours come from?
dpkg -S /usr/lib/jvm/default-java

Regards
mks

Old 01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Thufir

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:39:00 +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Thufir:
>
>> why does default-java link to the openjdk? I can manually change that,
>> but shouldn't update-alternatives have changed it?
>
> I don't have a default-java symlink. Where does yours come from? dpkg -S
> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java

thufir@arrakis:~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
default-jre-headless: /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
thufir@arrakis:~$

does that mean "unknown" or that installling the "default-jre-headless"
put that file there?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Thufir:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:39:00 +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> Thufir:
>>
>>> why does default-java link to the openjdk? I can manually change that,
>>> but shouldn't update-alternatives have changed it?
>> I don't have a default-java symlink. Where does yours come from? dpkg -S
>> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
>
> thufir@arrakis:~$ dpkg -S /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
> default-jre-headless: /usr/lib/jvm/default-java
> thufir@arrakis:~$
>

> does that mean "unknown" or that installling the "default-jre-headless"
> put that file there?

The latter.

$ LANG=C aptitude show default-jre-headless
Package: default-jre-headless
State: not installed
Version: 1.6-30ubuntu3
This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible runtime
recommended for this architecture, which is openjdk-6-jre-headless for
i386.

The package is used as dependency for packages not needing a graphical
display during runtime.

So, judging from the description above, that update-alternatives doesn't
touch the symlink created by default-jre-headless seems to be exactly
the way it's intended to be.

Regards
mks

Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Thufir:

> Also, I notice:
>
> thufir@arrakis:~$ which java
> /usr/bin/java
> thufir@arrakis:~$ ll /usr/bin/java
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-01-06 19:08 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/
> alternatives/java
> thufir@arrakis:~$ ll /etc/alternatives/java
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2009-01-14 08:38 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/
> lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$ which javac
> /usr/bin/javac
> thufir@arrakis:~$ ll /usr/bin/javac
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2009-01-14 00:24 /usr/bin/javac -> /etc/
> alternatives/javac
> thufir@arrakis:~$ ll /etc/alternatives/javac
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 2009-01-14 08:25 /etc/alternatives/javac -> /
> usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/bin/javac
> thufir@arrakis:~$

So what? You've noticed that changing one binary managed by the
alternatives system doesn't affect other (different) binaries managed by
the alternatives system. Doesn't seem surprising to me.

> It seems that java uses the sun binary, while javac is using openjdk.
> From what I read there's probably no difference for my needs, but, still,
> I'd prefer to use the "official" version.

If you want /usr/bin/javac to point to the javac from the Sun JDK, do
something similar to what you did wrt /usr/bin/java:
sudo update-alternatives --config javac
And while you're at it, do the same for appletviewer, javadoc, javah,
jar, jarsigner, javaws, jconsole, ...
Or simply uninstall OpenJDK if you're not going to use it anyway.
Or prepend your path with the bin directory of your preferred Java
installation.

Or - maybe the least painful way to change the all Java alternatives -
take a look at update-java-alternatives.

Regards
mks