Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM
"Bas Roufs"

Default Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection?

Dear everybody

After a fresh 'install from scratch' of Kubuntu 8.10 at a laptop, the
system does recognise the eth0 connection - the connection between the
ethernet modem and the laptop, via a "RJ-45" cable, connector and
access. However, eth0 is 'down', according to the feedback from the
system - Kubuntu does not automatically establish the connection.
I even tried out a 2nd option for such a connection: linking the RJ-45
cable to a special connector combined with a PCMCIA ethernet card. As
soon as I poke this combination into the laptop, Kubuntu immediately
recognises it as 'eth1'. However, that connection is 'disconnected'
according to the system feedback.
However it may be, so far I do not manage to link the laptop to the
internet, although I did, as far as I know, full fill all possible
hardware preconditions for a successful connection via an ethernet
modem.
Can somebody give me a clue on how to manually configure the software
in such a way, that the internet connection can be established?

Thanks for your possible reply.

Bas.

--
Viaconsensus