-   -   Hardware Virtualization with KVM & Windows (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/227829-hardware-virtualization-kvm-windows.html)

"Mark Haney" 01-14-2009 07:37 PM

Alex Katebi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to create a Windows-XP virtual guest for my son on my Intel
> Quad machine. He wants to play the WoW video game on it. I am going to use
> virt-install & KVM to create the virtual guest machine. In order to run WoW,
> one needs a pretty good video card, and I have that. It is a Nvidia 9500 GT
> with 1 gig mem. How can I create the guest OS to use the hardware video card
> instead of a cheap virtual one? Any comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> -Alex

You should be able to install the video card driver in the guest OS just
as if XP was the only system on that hardware. I've never had trouble
with that before.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

"Mark Haney" 01-14-2009 07:42 PM

Alex Katebi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to create a Windows-XP virtual guest for my son on my Intel
> Quad machine. He wants to play the WoW video game on it. I am going to use
> virt-install & KVM to create the virtual guest machine. In order to run WoW,
> one needs a pretty good video card, and I have that. It is a Nvidia 9500 GT
> with 1 gig mem. How can I create the guest OS to use the hardware video card
> instead of a cheap virtual one? Any comments are welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> -Alex

I will say, KVM is great, but even with a quad core I don't know that
WoW will run well on that guest OS. I'd be interested in hearing how
well it does run though since I just purchased a dual quad core AMD
system with 8GB RAM and 2TB of Serial ATA storage. I'd like to have
Windows in a VM to play my games on it as well.

"Alex Katebi" 01-14-2009 08:30 PM

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Alex Katebi wrote:

> Hi,

> * I am planning to create a Windows-XP virtual guest for my son on my Intel

> Quad machine. He wants to play the WoW video game on it. I am going to use

> virt-install & KVM to create the virtual guest machine. In order to run WoW,

> one needs a pretty good video card, and I have that. It is a Nvidia 9500 GT

> with 1 gig mem. How can I create the guest OS to use the hardware video card

> instead of a cheap virtual one? Any comments are welcome.

> Thanks in advance!

> -Alex

You should be able to install the video card driver in the guest OS just

as if XP was the only system on that hardware. I've never had trouble

with that before.

That is great! I will do that.
Thanks,
-Alex
*

"Alex Katebi" 01-14-2009 08:33 PM

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Alex Katebi wrote:

> Hi,

> * I am planning to create a Windows-XP virtual guest for my son on my Intel

> Quad machine. He wants to play the WoW video game on it. I am going to use

> virt-install & KVM to create the virtual guest machine. In order to run WoW,

> one needs a pretty good video card, and I have that. It is a Nvidia 9500 GT

> with 1 gig mem. How can I create the guest OS to use the hardware video card

> instead of a cheap virtual one? Any comments are welcome.

> Thanks in advance!

> -Alex

I will say, KVM is great, but even with a quad core I don't know that

WoW will run well on that guest OS. *I'd be interested in hearing how

well it does run though since I just purchased a dual quad core AMD

system with 8GB RAM and 2TB of Serial ATA storage. *I'd like to have

Windows in a VM to play my games on it as well.

KVM supposedly 95% efficient. So if you have no other processes and guests running are almost as good as hardware. I will let you know when I get it working or not.

*