Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Ray Parrish

Default Restricted modules in Ubuntu

Matthew East wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And speaking of components and restricted ones, it is a real pain in
>> the neck to have to manually add in ubuntu-restricted-extras on *every
>> single Ubuntu box I install*. They are not optional if you want to use
>> the Web; Flash, Java and so on are pretty much mandatory. So, come to
>> that, are the w32codecs from the Medibuntu repository.
>>
>> I am not American; I am not in America; I never plan to live in
>> America. Nice place for a holiday, wouldn't want to live there. Yet as
>> far as I know, I have to jump through hoops installing this stuff
>> because they can't be included by /United States/ laws. These do not
>> apply to me.
>>

> US law has nothing to do with this. As far as I can see, many of the
> packages in ubuntu-restricted-extras are perfectly fine to use in the
> US. Obvious examples from your original post are flash and java.
>
> These packages are not installed by default because they are not free
> software. Excluding non-free software by default is a choice that
> Ubuntu has made of its own accord, not because of legal restrictions.
>
> I gather from what you've said in your post that you may disagree with
> that choice, and if so, you probably want to run a different operating
> system. But blaming it on US law is misplaced.

So... if flash and java aren't free, when do I have to pay for them? I'm
using both on my Ubuntu install, and so far no one has asked me for any
money. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 11:38 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:

> So... if flash and java aren't free, when do I have to pay for them? I'm
> using both on my Ubuntu install, and so far no one has asked me for any
> money. 8-)

Please read the licenses for Flash and Java. It is not that they are not
free, but Adobe and Sun place restrictions on the redistribution of both
programs which are incompatible with the GPL.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, Ray Parrish wrote:

>>> I am not American; I am not in America; I never plan to live in
>>> America. Nice place for a holiday, wouldn't want to live there. Yet as
>>> far as I know, I have to jump through hoops installing this stuff
>>> because they can't be included by /United States/ laws. These do not
>>> apply to me.
>>>

>> US law has nothing to do with this. As far as I can see, many of the
>> packages in ubuntu-restricted-extras are perfectly fine to use in the
>> US. Obvious examples from your original post are flash and java.
>>
>> These packages are not installed by default because they are not free
>> software. Excluding non-free software by default is a choice that
>> Ubuntu has made of its own accord, not because of legal restrictions.
>>
>> I gather from what you've said in your post that you may disagree with
>> that choice, and if so, you probably want to run a different operating
>> system. But blaming it on US law is misplaced.
>>

> So... if flash and java aren't free, when do I have to pay for them? I'm
> using both on my Ubuntu install, and so far no one has asked me for any
> money. 8-)

Read up on the open source philosophy, especially the difference between
free as in free lunch and free as in free speech.

--
Holtzman's Dictum:
The bestowal of an academic degree in any discipline does not necessarily

Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Ray Parrish wrote:
> So... if flash and java aren't free, when do I have to pay for them?

Please see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html . Unfortunately,
the English language uses "free" for two unrelated things, freedom and
price (many other languages don't have this problem). Free software
refers to freedom. Flash is non-free because it restricts users from
modifying and redistributing it. Java used to have the same problem,
but this is changing.

Matt Flaschen