Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM
sktsee

Default What is console-setup?

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:49:12 -0800, jerry wrote:

> I just got an update notification today and it installed console-setup.
> Here is part of apt-cache show console-setup; Description: Set up the
> font and the keyboard on the console
> The package provides the Linux console with the same versatile keyboard
> configuration that the X Window System uses. As a result there is no
> need to duplicate or change the keyboard files just to make simple
> customisations such as the use of dead keys, the key functioning as
> AltGr or Compose key, the key(s) to switch between Latin and non-Latin
> mode, etc.
> .
> The package also contains console fonts supporting many of the world's
> languages. It provides an unified set of font faces - the classic VGA,
> the simplistic Fixed, and the cleaned Terminus, TerminusBold and
> TerminusBoldVGA.
>
> It sounds like something I would like to try but I cannot find out how
> to run it. I tried in a terminal and it says command not found. I did
> find directories named /etc/console-setup and /usr/share/console-setup,
> but no executable.
> Any info appreciated.
> Jerry

Console-setup is managed by debconf. Enter "sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-
setup" in a terminal to make changes.

--
sktsee

Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
jerry

sktsee wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:49:12 -0800, jerry wrote:
>

>> I just got an update notification today and it installed console-setup.
>> Here is part of apt-cache show console-setup; Description: Set up the
>> font and the keyboard on the console
>> The package provides the Linux console with the same versatile keyboard
>> configuration that the X Window System uses. As a result there is no
>> need to duplicate or change the keyboard files just to make simple
>> customisations such as the use of dead keys, the key functioning as
>> AltGr or Compose key, the key(s) to switch between Latin and non-Latin
>> mode, etc.
>> .
>> The package also contains console fonts supporting many of the world's
>> languages. It provides an unified set of font faces - the classic VGA,
>> the simplistic Fixed, and the cleaned Terminus, TerminusBold and
>> TerminusBoldVGA.
>>
>> It sounds like something I would like to try but I cannot find out how
>> to run it. I tried in a terminal and it says command not found. I did
>> find directories named /etc/console-setup and /usr/share/console-setup,
>> but no executable.
>> Any info appreciated.
>> Jerry
>>

> Console-setup is managed by debconf. Enter "sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-
> setup" in a terminal to make changes.

Thanks everyone for the good info
Jerry

Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
"Thomas Balthazar"

Hello,

When I run 'aptitude safe-upgrade -y' on a brand new 8.1 Server
install, I get a blue "Package configuration" screen for
console-setup.

My problem is that I use a script to configure my Ubuntu Machine, and
that this script is stopped by this blue screen.

How can I bypass it?

The quick fix I found is to run 'aptitude hold console-setup -y' just
before 'aptitude safe-upgrade -y'.

But is there a cleaner solution?
Is this package important?
I don't really get its utility ...

Thanks in advance for your advices.
Best,
Thomas.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Thomas Balthazar wrote:
> But is there a cleaner solution?
> Is this package important?
> I don't really get its utility ...

It's required by ubuntu-minimal. I would upgrade it when requested.

Matt Flaschen