Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
jerry

Default What is console-setup?

I just got an update notification today and it installed console-setup.
Here is part of apt-cache show console-setup;
The package provides the Linux console with the same versatile
keyboard configuration that the X Window System uses. As a result
there is no need to duplicate or change the keyboard files just to
make simple customisations such as the use of dead keys, the key
functioning as AltGr or Compose key, the key(s) to switch between
Latin and non-Latin mode, etc.
.
The package also contains console fonts supporting many of the
world's languages. It provides an unified set of font faces - the
classic VGA, the simplistic Fixed, and the cleaned Terminus,
TerminusBold and TerminusBoldVGA.

It sounds like something I would like to try but I cannot find out how
to run it. I tried in a terminal and it says command not found. I did
find directories named /etc/console-setup and /usr/share/console-setup,
but no executable.
Any info appreciated.
Jerry

Old 01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Matthew Flaschen

jerry wrote:
> It sounds like something I would like to try but I cannot find out how
> to run it.

When you want to know what files a package includes, run:

dpkg -L packagename

In this case:

dpkg -L console-setup

gives a lot of files, mostly data:

The main executables seem to be /usr/bin/ckbcomp and /bin/setupcon .
Both have man pages.

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Rashkae

jerry wrote:
> I just got an update notification today and it installed console-setup.
> Here is part of apt-cache show console-setup;
> The package provides the Linux console with the same versatile
> keyboard configuration that the X Window System uses. As a result
> there is no need to duplicate or change the keyboard files just to
> make simple customisations such as the use of dead keys, the key
> functioning as AltGr or Compose key, the key(s) to switch between
> Latin and non-Latin mode, etc.
> .
> The package also contains console fonts supporting many of the
> world's languages. It provides an unified set of font faces - the
> classic VGA, the simplistic Fixed, and the cleaned Terminus,
> TerminusBold and TerminusBoldVGA.
>
> It sounds like something I would like to try but I cannot find out how
> to run it. I tried in a terminal and it says command not found. I did
> find directories named /etc/console-setup and /usr/share/console-setup,
> but no executable.
> Any info appreciated.
> Jerry

The executable is 'setupcon'.

The script that Ubuntu runs on boot is /etc/init.d/keyboard-setup