Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Matthew Flaschen

Default Switch to Ubuntu from Windows xp 64 pro

Richard Sutton wrote:
> Have any of you made this switch, and what were the results?

Many have. It really depends on your devices, not what OS the computer
previously had.

> I'm concerned about my devices and my software -- are any of these use-able
> under Ubuntu?

I have had to install 64-bit device drivers for the

Old 01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:39:10 -0500
Richard Sutton <rsutton@optonline.net> wrote:

> Have any of you made this switch, and what were the results? I'm
> concerned about my devices and my software -- are any of these
> use-able under Ubuntu? I have had to install 64-bit device drivers
> for the version of xp I'm running, and it can be difficult to find
> them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Richard Sutton

Why not download a desktop-amd64 iso and try it. That is a livecd, if
it works, then your system should be fine switching over to Ubuntu.

Get the cd image here:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/getubuntu/download

I am running an Athlon 64-bit processor in this system, but never
loaded windows on it.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz