Old 12-25-2007, 03:47 PM
hue yang

Default win vista/unbuntu

hello..

i just got a new laptop, core 2 duo centrino win
vista, and want to add unbuntu as a second os without
messing vista. is there a way i could do that?

hue

Old 12-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Davide Corio

Il giorno mar, 25/12/2007 alle 08.47 -0800, hue yang ha scritto:
> hello..
>
> i just got a new laptop, core 2 duo centrino win
> vista, and want to add unbuntu as a second os without
> messing vista. is there a way i could do that?
>
> hue

Hi, during the installation of Ubuntu, you can resize the vista
partition, and then install Ubuntu without messing anything.

regards,
--
Davide Corio
email: davide.corio<at>domsense.com

Old 12-25-2007, 03:56 PM
"Gérard BIGOT"

i just got a new laptop, core 2 duo centrino win
vista, and want to add unbuntu as a second os without
messing vista. is there a way i could do that?
*You're right in the default scenario.

The installer in the liveCD knows how to repartition* your W partition, and install itself into the free space, and add the loader with itself and W as possibilities.

No worry

Just download the CD iso file. Create the CD from it, and boot from it.

G.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:18 PM
David Vincent

hue yang wrote:
> hello..
>
> i just got a new laptop, core 2 duo centrino win
> vista, and want to add unbuntu as a second os without
> messing vista. is there a way i could do that?
>
> hue

Ubuntu wants you do be able to do this too. The installer will by
default offer to resize your Vista partition and let you install Ubuntu
into the newly freed space.

Make sure you haven't HIBERNATED Vista before you attempt the partition
resize, NTFS won't let you modify the partition when you've hibernated a
Windows system.

Good luck.

-d

Old 12-26-2007, 01:37 AM
"Rutger van Haasteren"

On Dec 25, 2007 6:18 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

hue yang wrote:
> hello..
>
> i just got a new laptop, core 2 duo centrino win
> vista, and want to add unbuntu as a second os without
> messing vista. is there a way i could do that?

> hue

Ubuntu wants you do be able to do this too. *The installer will by
default offer to resize your Vista partition and let you install Ubuntu
into the newly freed space.

Make sure you haven't HIBERNATED Vista before you attempt the partition

resize, NTFS won't let you modify the partition when you've hibernated a
Windows system.

Good luck.

-d

I would recommend resizing the partition from within Vista.

Rutger

Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 AM
debian

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 03:37 +0100, Rutger van Haasteren wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2007 6:18 PM, David Vincent <dvincent@sleepdeprived.ca>
> wrote:
> hue yang wrote:
> > hello..
> >
> > i just got a new laptop, core 2 duo centrino win
> > vista, and want to add unbuntu as a second os without
> > messing vista. is there a way i could do that?
> >
> > hue
>

> Ubuntu wants you do be able to do this too. The installer
> will by
> default offer to resize your Vista partition and let you
> install Ubuntu
> into the newly freed space.
>
> Make sure you haven't HIBERNATED Vista before you attempt the
> partition
> resize, NTFS won't let you modify the partition when you've
> hibernated a
> Windows system.
>
> Good luck.
>
> -d

well if you get 7.10, it will have wubi on it, so you dont have to worry
about repartitioning it (atleast my cd has wubi on it and i got it from
ubuntus shipit).

note: wubi is a windows installer for ubuntu
--cj

Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Caleb Marcus

On Tue, 2007-12-25 at 19:57 -0700, debian wrote:****

well if you get 7.10, it will have wubi on it, so you dont have to worry
about repartitioning it (atleast my cd has wubi on it and i got it from
ubuntus shipit).

I wouldn't use Wubi, ESPECIALLY the one on that CD... first of all, the CD one didn't work for me (normal Wubi did), and second of all, last time I checked, Wubi doesn't work on Vista.