Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Thufir

Default man update-alternatives priority

Should I make the sun binary have a higher priority?

thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java

There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection Alternative
*+ 1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java
2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2
Using '/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java' to provide 'java'.
thufir@arrakis:~$

"Each alternative has a priority associated with it. When a link group
is in automatic mode, the alternatives pointed to by members of the
group will be those which have the highest priority.

When using the --config option, update-alternatives will list all of
the choices for the link group of which given name is the master link.
The current choice is marked with a ’*’ and the choice with the highest
priority with a ’+’. You will then be prompted for your choice regarding
this link group. Once you make a change, the link group will no
longer be in auto mode. You will need to use the --auto option in order
to return to the automatic mode."

Also, am I using the sun version for javac? I thought that I'd specified
to install the jdk in synaptic:

thufir@arrakis:~$
thufir@arrakis:~$ javac -version
javac 1.6.0_0-internal
thufir@arrakis:~$

thanks,

Thufir

Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Thufir

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:41:17 +0000, Thufir wrote:

> Should I make the sun binary have a higher priority?
>
> thufir@arrakis:~$
> thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
>
> There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.
>
> Selection Alternative
> ----------------------------------------------- *+ 1
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java
> 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
>
> Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 2 Using
> '/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java' to provide 'java'.
> thufir@arrakis:~$

Hmm, even after selecting the sun jvm as as default, netbeans shows:

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 6.1 (Build 080905)
Java: 1.6.0_0; OpenJDK Client VM 1.6.0_0-b12
System: Linux version 2.6.27-7-generic running on i386; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
Userdir: /home/thufir/.netbeans/6.1

Of course, I selected the sun JVM and the JDK wasn't listed given that
it's installed:

thufir@arrakis:~$ sudo aptitude search sun-java6-jdk
i sun-java6-jdk - Sun Java(TM)
Development Kit (JDK) 6