Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Pat

Default Changing owner/file permissions

I have several files I copied over from another Ubuntu system. They are
locked and while I can copy them and create usuable files, I would like
to be able to change the files and their directory's owner to allow me
full access. Right now the owner is nobody and the group is nogroup. How
do I change that to be myself?

I tried chmod but I'm not sure of the syntax and all I get is an
'Operation is not permitted' I've tried chown and chgrp and get the same
response. What am I missing? I know it's something simple, but I can't
figure out what command I need.

This is an example of what I see with ls -l

drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-01-12 20:40 Jazy

I want to change nobody and nogroup to my own id.

--

Pat Brown

pat.mysterywriter@gmail.com
www.pabrown.ca

Now available from All Romance Ebooks and Mobibook, I Do!, an anthology of love and acceptance

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Ken Rune Helland

Pat wrote:
> I have several files I copied over from another Ubuntu system. They are
> locked and while I can copy them and create usuable files, I would like
> to be able to change the files and their directory's owner to allow me
> full access. Right now the owner is nobody and the group is nogroup. How
> do I change that to be myself?
>
> I tried chmod but I'm not sure of the syntax and all I get is an
> 'Operation is not permitted' I've tried chown and chgrp and get the same
> response. What am I missing? I know it's something simple, but I can't
> figure out what command I need.
>
> This is an example of what I see with ls -l
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-01-12 20:40 Jazy
>
> I want to change nobody and nogroup to my own id.
>
> --
>
> Pat Brown

$ chown --help
Usage: chown [OPTION]... [OWNER][:[GROUP]] FILE...

propably need root perimsions so:
$sudo chown user:group file
should do it.

Best regards
KenR

Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:13:39AM -0500, Pat wrote:

> drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-01-12 20:40 Jazy
>
> I want to change nobody and nogroup to my own id.

Its 'chown'.

sudo chown $USER:$USER

--
Hal

Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Ray Parrish

Pat wrote:
> I have several files I copied over from another Ubuntu system. They are
> locked and while I can copy them and create usuable files, I would like
> to be able to change the files and their directory's owner to allow me
> full access. Right now the owner is nobody and the group is nogroup. How
> do I change that to be myself?
>
> I tried chmod but I'm not sure of the syntax and all I get is an
> 'Operation is not permitted' I've tried chown and chgrp and get the same
> response. What am I missing? I know it's something simple, but I can't
> figure out what command I need.
>
> This is an example of what I see with ls -l
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-01-12 20:40 Jazy
>
> I want to change nobody and nogroup to my own id.

Use the GUI! Start Nautilus with gksu as a root process, and you will be
able to change groups, owners, etc... at will. That's the way I do it. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows