Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Ray Parrish

Default create an image like norton ghost in ubuntu

H.S. wrote:
> habtool wrote:

>>> You already have the dd command on your system, and it makes bit by
>>> bit
>>> copies of drives, which are exact images of the source drive. For
>>> instructions on it's usage see this link -
>>>
>>> <http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>
>>>
>>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>>
>> I have had good results from partimage
>>
>> http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-FAQ
>> Partimage vs others
>> [edit] What does partimage give you over the following: clear the free
>> blocks with DD, and copy with DD
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/filetmp
>> rm /mnt/filetmp
>> dd if=/dev/xxx
>> gzip > image_file.gz
>> 1. Partimage is faster. You don't have to wait for "dd
>> if=/dev/zero" first. during the copy, free blocks are not read.
>> Then, if 20 % of the partition is used, partimage will avoid two
>> access to 80 % of the free areas.
>> 2. There's a GUI (graphical user interface). It has a lot of
>> advantages: you can see the remaining time, the percentage of
>> the copy, ... The Qt GUI in the next version will be very nice
>> and easy to use.
>> 3. Partimage can work on file systems which are not supported
>> (stable write support) by the Linux kernel, such as NTFS, BSD
>> ffs, XFS/JFS in a non-patched kernel. To run "dd if=/dev/zero",
>> you need the write support in Linux.
>> 4. Partimage is made to be easy to use, and to replace commercial
>> software such as Ghost, Drive Image, ... and the user does not
>> have to know many command lines.
>> 5. Partimage has a lot of options, such as -V which allow th create
>> a new volume if space is missing. DD will show and error and
>> abort.
>> 6. The network support allows to save an image file from a client,
>> without having to configure both client and server NFS. (Network
>> File System). When the multicast will be implemented, it will
>> allow to restore X clients from 1 server, and DD can't do a such
>> multicast copy.
>> 7. We provide rootdisk and bootcd. You can boot on it, if Linux is
>> not installed on your computer. They contains everything that is
>> need (the LZO compression in 0.7, which is very useful for big
>> files). You don't have all these tools on every boot rescue
>> systems.
>>

> I second that. I have used it in the past to retain images of 'factory
> default' hard disks. This was a couple of years or so ago. I am sure
> there have been improvements in these open source disk imaging tools
> since them. Somebody mentioned fog, it appears it uses partimage
> internally. However, it doesn't appears to be in Ubuntu repos yet, at
> least not in Hardy.

Here's one drawback that dd doesn't suffer from, this is a quote from
the partimage web site -

> *The NTFS (Windows NT File System) is currently not fully supported:*
> this means you will be able to save an NTFS partition if system files
> are not very fragmented, and if system files are not compressed. In
> this case, you will be able to save the partition into an image file,
> and you will be able to restore it after. If there is a problem when
> saving, an error message will be shown and you won't be able to
> continue. If you have successfully saved an NTFS NTFS partition, you
> shouldn't have problems as you restore it (except in the case of
> bugs). Then the best way is to try to save a partition to know if it
> is possible. If not, try to defragment it with diskeeper or another
> tool, and try to saving the partition again.

Worth noting if you are a Windows user as well. Not a total deal killer,
but a potential annoyance.

Later, Ray parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
habtool

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 19:25 -0500, H.S. wrote:

> I second that. I have used it in the past to retain images of 'factory
> default' hard disks. This was a couple of years or so ago. I am sure
> there have been improvements in these open source disk imaging tools
> since them. Somebody mentioned fog, it appears it uses partimage
> internally. However, it doesn't appears to be in Ubuntu repos yet, at
> least not in Hardy.

Sadly partimage development has stalled for a LONG time.
There was talk of a QT front end but this has never arrived

The last file their site is:
unstable 0.7.2 August 10, 2003

Any way, still a great tool, has not failed me yet.

Another way to use partimage is via quickstart, not sure if this is
frowned upon or not, its just a bit easier than the front end for
partimage, but either method works just fine my side.

(I have not used the other options, so don't shoot me if this is another
Automatix saga!)

http://quickstart.phpbb.net/

QuickStart: DOWNLOAD/PICS:
http://quickstart.phpbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11

Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 PM
"Liam Proven"

2009/1/13 mierda tuti <mierdatuti@gmail.com>:
> HI,
>
> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton ghost do
> it in windows.
>
> Many thanks and sorry for my english,

Another vote for Partimage. In fact, this evening, I have just been
backing up the OEM install image for Windows XP Pro on the IBM
Thinkpad I am typing on right now, to an external FAT32 USB drive,
with Partimage. Works a treat.

AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
"H.S."

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Here's one drawback that dd doesn't suffer from, this is a quote from
> the partimage web site -
>
>> *The NTFS (Windows NT File System) is currently not fully supported:*
>> this means you will be able to save an NTFS partition if system files
>> are not very fragmented, and if system files are not compressed. In
>> this case, you will be able to save the partition into an image file,
>> and you will be able to restore it after. If there is a problem when
>> saving, an error message will be shown and you won't be able to
>> continue. If you have successfully saved an NTFS NTFS partition, you
>> shouldn't have problems as you restore it (except in the case of
>> bugs). Then the best way is to try to save a partition to know if it
>> is possible. If not, try to defragment it with diskeeper or another
>> tool, and try to saving the partition again.
>
> Worth noting if you are a Windows user as well. Not a total deal killer,
> but a potential annoyance.

Valid point. In fact, it is my practice so actually defragment Windows
partitions before I do any kind of imaging.

Now, regarding dd, I usually use a little hack of my own. In practice,
one usually wants to compress the dd'ed image using gzip or some such
thing. Before I do that, I use a little program I wrote to write binary
zeros to the partition till it is full and then delete the file (which
contains all those zeros). This way I am sure all deleted data is
zeroed, consequently resulting in better compression.

ever having been read.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Bart Silverstrim

mierda tuti wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton ghost do
> it in windows.
>
> Many thanks and sorry for my english,

We use RIP (Rescue Is Possible) Linux to boot systems and image using
partimage. I don't know anything more about your setup so I can't give
more details, but if you're interested, feel free to ask and I'll help
with details if I can.

I don't know if the Ubuntu boot CD has partimage or not.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Ray Parrish wrote:
> H.S. wrote:

> Here's one drawback that dd doesn't suffer from, this is a quote from
> the partimage web site -
>
>> *The NTFS (Windows NT File System) is currently not fully supported:*
>> this means you will be able to save an NTFS partition if system files
>> are not very fragmented, and if system files are not compressed. In
>> this case, you will be able to save the partition into an image file,
>> and you will be able to restore it after. If there is a problem when
>> saving, an error message will be shown and you won't be able to
>> continue. If you have successfully saved an NTFS NTFS partition, you
>> shouldn't have problems as you restore it (except in the case of
>> bugs). Then the best way is to try to save a partition to know if it
>> is possible. If not, try to defragment it with diskeeper or another
>> tool, and try to saving the partition again.
>
> Worth noting if you are a Windows user as well. Not a total deal killer,
> but a potential annoyance.
>
> Later, Ray parrish

The warning, I suspect, is CYA.

We've imaged hundreds of systems, NTFS based, using partimage and that
warning will pop up and we've not corrupted them.

There is an issue we've seen occasionally where on booting after
restoring to a different brand drive all you get is a black screen with
blinking cursor.

If that happens it looks like it's a problem with the drive geometry.
Testdisk (also on the RIP-Rescue Is Possible) seems to be able to repair
it in the advanced settings, or restoring the boot sector information
(again with that utility) will allow it to boot. I remember only one
system that I couldn't get working properly using these techniques and I
had to fall back to using DD over Netcat to image the system.

-Bart

Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Bart Silverstrim

Ray Parrish wrote:

> One other thing I can think of about dd is it's nickname "data
> destroyer", one little typo in your call to it can wreak havoc, and a
> gui tool doesn't suffer from this problem as much.

Plus corruption or errors will be copied dutifully over by dd as well.
There's a dd-rescue utility that uses a modified routine with DD to try
recovering data in the copy process...dd-rescue or dd-restore, something
like that.

> Now if I could just afford another drive to make some copies of my
> partitions on, I'd be set. 8-)

If you have another system, we image by booting RIP (does it seem like I
like RIP yet?) and mounting a remote share with the mount -t cifs
command then specifying that mountpoint as the destination (and source
if performing the restore) for the partimage file.

So we can image to a USB disk or Windows share or a physically cabled drive.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Ray Parrish

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>

>> One other thing I can think of about dd is it's nickname "data
>> destroyer", one little typo in your call to it can wreak havoc, and a
>> gui tool doesn't suffer from this problem as much.
>>

> Plus corruption or errors will be copied dutifully over by dd as well.
> There's a dd-rescue utility that uses a modified routine with DD to try
> recovering data in the copy process...dd-rescue or dd-restore, something
> like that.
>

>> Now if I could just afford another drive to make some copies of my
>> partitions on, I'd be set. 8-)
>>

> If you have another system, we image by booting RIP (does it seem like I
> like RIP yet?) and mounting a remote share with the mount -t cifs
> command then specifying that mountpoint as the destination (and source
> if performing the restore) for the partimage file.
>
> So we can image to a USB disk or Windows share or a physically cabled drive.

Nope, just one system for this poor boy... About five months from now my
financial situation is going to improve marginally, so I am anxiously
awaiting that time to upgrade my ram and get a second hard drive.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM
NoOp

On 01/14/2009 07:52 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> mierda tuti wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton ghost do
>> it in windows.
>>
>> Many thanks and sorry for my english,
>
> We use RIP (Rescue Is Possible) Linux to boot systems and image using
> partimage. I don't know anything more about your setup so I can't give

Note:
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
<quote>
This will be the last release from me, it should be useful for awhile.
It's licensed under GPL, anyone can do whatever they want with it
without my permission. My email address is closed.
</quote>