Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
don fisher

Default configuring xorg.conf

My 8.10 X display works quite well. I wanted to modify actions on my
synaptic touch pad, so went to edit xorg.conf. There was surprised to
find that there is almost nothing there!

Previously I have had sections:

Section "ServerLayout"
Section "Files"
Section "InputDevice" for keyboard
Section "InputDevice" for mouse
Section "InputDevice" for touchpad
Section "Monitor"
Section "Device"
Section "Screen"

Now there is :

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I am aware of how to generate xorg.conf files, but would like to learn
how to be consistent with where ubuntu is going. I purchased a book
titled "Ubuntu Hacks" 2006 which describes xorg.conf the old way. Is
there documentation that describes the current approaches ubuntu is taking?

When I attempt to use the gsynaptics configuration program, I receive
the "Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?" error
message. That was an option that was previously set in the touchpad
input device section of xorg.conf. The existing xorg.conf says that the
file is generated by dexconf, edit with caution.

Thanks for any pointers.
don

Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:59:45 -0700
don fisher <hdf3@comcast.net> wrote:

> My 8.10 X display works quite well. I wanted to modify actions on my
> synaptic touch pad, so went to edit xorg.conf. There was surprised to
> find that there is almost nothing there!
>
> Previously I have had sections:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Section "Files"
> Section "InputDevice" for keyboard
> Section "InputDevice" for mouse
> Section "InputDevice" for touchpad
> Section "Monitor"
> Section "Device"
> Section "Screen"
>
> Now there is :
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I am aware of how to generate xorg.conf files, but would like to
> learn how to be consistent with where ubuntu is going. I purchased a
> book titled "Ubuntu Hacks" 2006 which describes xorg.conf the old
> way. Is there documentation that describes the current approaches
> ubuntu is taking?
>
> When I attempt to use the gsynaptics configuration program, I receive
> the "Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?" error
> message. That was an option that was previously set in the touchpad
> input device section of xorg.conf. The existing xorg.conf says that
> the file is generated by dexconf, edit with caution.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
> don

Starting with Ubuntu 8.04, Xorg configuration is automatically done.
Perhaps this reference will help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/DisplayConfigGtk

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 AM
NoOp

On 01/13/2009 01:59 PM, don fisher wrote:
> My 8.10 X display works quite well. I wanted to modify actions on my
> synaptic touch pad, so went to edit xorg.conf. There was surprised to
> find that there is almost nothing there!
>
> Previously I have had sections:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Section "Files"
> Section "InputDevice" for keyboard
> Section "InputDevice" for mouse
> Section "InputDevice" for touchpad
> Section "Monitor"
> Section "Device"
> Section "Screen"
>
> Now there is :
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> I am aware of how to generate xorg.conf files, but would like to learn
> how to be consistent with where ubuntu is going. I purchased a book
> titled "Ubuntu Hacks" 2006 which describes xorg.conf the old way. Is
> there documentation that describes the current approaches ubuntu is taking?
>
> When I attempt to use the gsynaptics configuration program, I receive
> the "Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?" error
> message. That was an option that was previously set in the touchpad
> input device section of xorg.conf. The existing xorg.conf says that the
> file is generated by dexconf, edit with caution.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
> don

These might help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X