Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
"mierda tuti"

Default create an image like norton ghost in ubuntu

HI,

I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton ghost do it in windows.

Many thanks and sorry for my english,

Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Bruce Ferrell

mierda tuti wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton
> ghost do it in windows.
>
> Many thanks and sorry for my english,

See FOG:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/fog/?branch_id=71236&release_id=292027

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Brian McKee

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM, mierda tuti <mierdatuti@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton ghost do
> it in windows.

Your English is better than many of the English only speaking people
that post here :-)

Try mondorescue. Note however the version in the repositories don't
work correctly.

See mondorescue.org especially
<http://trac.mondorescue.org/wiki/FAQ#Q11DoesmondoworkwithDebianUbuntudistributions>

To try it out, download these three debs and install them (double
click or apt/aptitude)

http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/ubuntu/8.04/mindi_2.0.4_i386.deb
http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/ubuntu/8.04/mindi-busybox_1.7.3-1_i386.deb
http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/ubuntu/8.04/mondo_2.2.7_i386.deb
then start mondo with -S /tmp -T /tmp

If it works well for you, go back and make the suggested changes to
your source list so Ubuntu doesn't overwrite your packages with the
broken older ones from the standard repositories.

Brian

Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Anna EdwARds

> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:27:20 -0500
> Subject: Re: create an image like norton ghost in ubuntu
> From: brian.mckee@gmail.com
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM, mierda tuti <mierdatuti@gmail.com> wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton ghost do
> > it in windows.
>
> Your English is better than many of the English only speaking people
> that post here :-)
>
> Try mondorescue. Note however the version in the repositories don't
> work correctly.
>
> See mondorescue.org especially
> <http://trac.mondorescue.org/wiki/FAQ#Q11DoesmondoworkwithDebianUbuntudistributions>
>
> To try it out, download these three debs and install them (double
> click or apt/aptitude)
>
> http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/ubuntu/8.04/mindi_2.0.4_i386.deb
> http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/ubuntu/8.04/mindi-busybox_1.7.3-1_i386.deb
> http://mondorescue.muskokamug.org/ubuntu/8.04/mondo_2.2.7_i386.deb
> then start mondo with -S /tmp -T /tmp
>
> If it works well for you, go back and make the suggested changes to
> your source list so Ubuntu doesn't overwrite your packages with the
> broken older ones from the standard repositories.
>
> Brian

Wouldn't the one archive program in linux work for it? Making a file of the desired type and copy all the files to it? I don't remember it off the top of my head

Windows Liveā„¢ HotmailĀ®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. See how it works.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Ray Parrish

mierda tuti wrote:
> HI,
>
> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton
> ghost do it in windows.
>
> Many thanks and sorry for my english,

You already have the dd command on your system, and it makes bit by bit
copies of drives, which are exact images of the source drive. For
instructions on it's usage see this link -

<http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM
habtool

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:17 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> mierda tuti wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton
> > ghost do it in windows.
> >
> > Many thanks and sorry for my english,
> >

> You already have the dd command on your system, and it makes bit by
> bit
> copies of drives, which are exact images of the source drive. For
> instructions on it's usage see this link -
>
> <http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

I have had good results from partimage

http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-FAQ
Partimage vs others
[edit] What does partimage give you over the following: clear the free
blocks with DD, and copy with DD
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/filetmp
rm /mnt/filetmp
dd if=/dev/xxx
gzip > image_file.gz
1. Partimage is faster. You don't have to wait for "dd
if=/dev/zero" first. during the copy, free blocks are not read.
Then, if 20 % of the partition is used, partimage will avoid two
access to 80 % of the free areas.
2. There's a GUI (graphical user interface). It has a lot of
advantages: you can see the remaining time, the percentage of
the copy, ... The Qt GUI in the next version will be very nice
and easy to use.
3. Partimage can work on file systems which are not supported
(stable write support) by the Linux kernel, such as NTFS, BSD
ffs, XFS/JFS in a non-patched kernel. To run "dd if=/dev/zero",
you need the write support in Linux.
4. Partimage is made to be easy to use, and to replace commercial
software such as Ghost, Drive Image, ... and the user does not
have to know many command lines.
5. Partimage has a lot of options, such as -V which allow th create
a new volume if space is missing. DD will show and error and
abort.
6. The network support allows to save an image file from a client,
without having to configure both client and server NFS. (Network
File System). When the multicast will be implemented, it will
allow to restore X clients from 1 server, and DD can't do a such
multicast copy.
7. We provide rootdisk and bootcd. You can boot on it, if Linux is
not installed on your computer. They contains everything that is
need (the LZO compression in 0.7, which is very useful for big
files). You don't have all these tools on every boot rescue
systems.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Ray Parrish

habtool wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:17 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> mierda tuti wrote:
>>
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton
>>> ghost do it in windows.
>>>
>>> Many thanks and sorry for my english,
>>>

>> You already have the dd command on your system, and it makes bit by
>> bit
>> copies of drives, which are exact images of the source drive. For
>> instructions on it's usage see this link -
>>
>> <http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> I have had good results from partimage
>
> http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-FAQ
> Partimage vs others
> [edit] What does partimage give you over the following: clear the free
> blocks with DD, and copy with DD
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/filetmp
> rm /mnt/filetmp
> dd if=/dev/xxx
> gzip > image_file.gz
> 1. Partimage is faster. You don't have to wait for "dd
> if=/dev/zero" first. during the copy, free blocks are not read.
> Then, if 20 % of the partition is used, partimage will avoid two
> access to 80 % of the free areas.
> 2. There's a GUI (graphical user interface). It has a lot of
> advantages: you can see the remaining time, the percentage of
> the copy, ... The Qt GUI in the next version will be very nice
> and easy to use.
> 3. Partimage can work on file systems which are not supported
> (stable write support) by the Linux kernel, such as NTFS, BSD
> ffs, XFS/JFS in a non-patched kernel. To run "dd if=/dev/zero",
> you need the write support in Linux.
> 4. Partimage is made to be easy to use, and to replace commercial
> software such as Ghost, Drive Image, ... and the user does not
> have to know many command lines.
> 5. Partimage has a lot of options, such as -V which allow th create
> a new volume if space is missing. DD will show and error and
> abort.
> 6. The network support allows to save an image file from a client,
> without having to configure both client and server NFS. (Network
> File System). When the multicast will be implemented, it will
> allow to restore X clients from 1 server, and DD can't do a such
> multicast copy.
> 7. We provide rootdisk and bootcd. You can boot on it, if Linux is
> not installed on your computer. They contains everything that is
> need (the LZO compression in 0.7, which is very useful for big
> files). You don't have all these tools on every boot rescue
> systems.

Wow! That's a lot of good points. I had heard of partimage before, but
hadn't spent any time reading about it yet. I'm a Linux noob, so I'm
learning something new every day.

Thanks for educating me! I'll look into installing partimage right after
I send this.

One other thing I can think of about dd is it's nickname "data
destroyer", one little typo in your call to it can wreak havoc, and a
gui tool doesn't suffer from this problem as much.

Now if I could just afford another drive to make some copies of my
partitions on, I'd be set. 8-)

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
"H.S."

habtool wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 15:17 -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
>> mierda tuti wrote:
>>> HI,
>>>
>>> I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to create an image like norton
>>> ghost do it in windows.
>>>
>>> Many thanks and sorry for my english,
>>>

>> You already have the dd command on your system, and it makes bit by
>> bit
>> copies of drives, which are exact images of the source drive. For
>> instructions on it's usage see this link -
>>
>> <http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=149328>
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>
> I have had good results from partimage
>
> http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-FAQ
> Partimage vs others
> [edit] What does partimage give you over the following: clear the free
> blocks with DD, and copy with DD
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/filetmp
> rm /mnt/filetmp
> dd if=/dev/xxx
> gzip > image_file.gz
> 1. Partimage is faster. You don't have to wait for "dd
> if=/dev/zero" first. during the copy, free blocks are not read.
> Then, if 20 % of the partition is used, partimage will avoid two
> access to 80 % of the free areas.
> 2. There's a GUI (graphical user interface). It has a lot of
> advantages: you can see the remaining time, the percentage of
> the copy, ... The Qt GUI in the next version will be very nice
> and easy to use.
> 3. Partimage can work on file systems which are not supported
> (stable write support) by the Linux kernel, such as NTFS, BSD
> ffs, XFS/JFS in a non-patched kernel. To run "dd if=/dev/zero",
> you need the write support in Linux.
> 4. Partimage is made to be easy to use, and to replace commercial
> software such as Ghost, Drive Image, ... and the user does not
> have to know many command lines.
> 5. Partimage has a lot of options, such as -V which allow th create
> a new volume if space is missing. DD will show and error and
> abort.
> 6. The network support allows to save an image file from a client,
> without having to configure both client and server NFS. (Network
> File System). When the multicast will be implemented, it will
> allow to restore X clients from 1 server, and DD can't do a such
> multicast copy.
> 7. We provide rootdisk and bootcd. You can boot on it, if Linux is
> not installed on your computer. They contains everything that is
> need (the LZO compression in 0.7, which is very useful for big
> files). You don't have all these tools on every boot rescue
> systems.

I second that. I have used it in the past to retain images of 'factory
default' hard disks. This was a couple of years or so ago. I am sure
there have been improvements in these open source disk imaging tools
since them. Somebody mentioned fog, it appears it uses partimage
internally. However, it doesn't appears to be in Ubuntu repos yet, at
least not in Hardy.

ever having been read.