-   -   reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/226860-reportbug-tries-relay-through-fiordland-ubuntu-com-does-not-work.html)

Matthew Flaschen 01-13-2009 06:15 AM

John Hawkinson wrote:

> If you shouldn't use reportbug, then reportbug should be replaced
> with a wrapper script that says "don't use reportbug, do <whatever>."
> It's crazy to have an installed tool that claims to report a bug
> if thee's no such thing.

True... warnings have been suggested. Bug 12626
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/reportbug/+bug/12626) says,
"If good old reportbug is not supported as bug reporter, it
should not be in main and it should warn user that he must use
bugzilla." That was resolved as a duplicate of 7839 and has now
allegedly been fixed by demoting reportbug to main (of course, this does
nothing to stop people from installing and using it).

Other people have suggested removing it entirely ("It might even be best
to not package reportbug for Ubuntu, or at least rename it, since it
does not operate the same way Debian's does."). That
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/reportbug/+bug/1677) three
year old bug is still marked new with no action by devs.

> I have no idea how Ubuntu bugs are really supposed to be handled, and
> if reportbug really is deprecated. But if it is, it had better say so!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/

Matt Flaschen

Matthew Flaschen 01-13-2009 06:16 AM

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> said:
>> musicman wrote:
>>> did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this
>>> reportbug function...
>>>
>> Check the headers of the OP's message (X-Mailer: reportbug
>> 3.39ubuntu3). .. He was using reportbug. Unfortunately, that
>> program does not report bugs...
>>
>> Matthew Flaschen

So was I. Even when reportbug successfully emails "someone", that does
not cause a bug to be reported.

Matt Flaschen

Matthew Flaschen 01-16-2009 04:16 AM

John Hawkinson wrote:
> Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote on Wed, 14 Jan 2009
> at 11:06:57 -0700 in <20090114110657.355f4654@teamcharliesangels.com> :
>
>> Can you file this on launchpad? I know the system sent it to the users
>> mailing list, but it never gets worked if it stays here.
>
> Despite comments suggesting this was unwise, I went to do that.
>
> It appears to be a duplicate of
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/reportbug/+bug/123414
>
> fixing in 3.47ubuntu1. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this,
> since I thought I had properly searched for it. Evidently not.
>
> Sorry for the noise.

Not your fault. I just wish they'd port the fix to at least Hardy (LTS).

Matt Flaschen