-   -   reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/226855-reportbug-tries-relay-through-fiordland-ubuntu-com-does-not-work.html)

John Hawkinson 01-13-2009 05:53 AM

reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work

musicman:

> did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this reportbug
> function...

reportbug tries to send email to ubuntu-users. If bug reports
don't belong on ubuntu-users, someone should fix reportbug
not to do that!

Matthew Flaschen:

| I'm pretty sure this is an improvement. Currently, there are still a
| lot of people that think it is possible to report Ubuntu bugs through
| reportbug. If the SMTP server is disabled, they will receive no formal
| or informal response to their submissions, which will lead them faster
| to Launchpad (the real bug report system).

If you shouldn't use reportbug, then reportbug should be replaced
with a wrapper script that says "don't use reportbug, do <whatever>."
It's crazy to have an installed tool that claims to report a bug
if thee's no such thing.

I have no idea how Ubuntu bugs are really supposed to be handled, and
if reportbug really is deprecated. But if it is, it had better say so!

--jhawk@mit.edu
John Hawkinson

"Cybe R. Wizard" 01-13-2009 06:09 AM

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> said:
> musicman wrote:
> > did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this
> > reportbug function...
> >

> Check the headers of the OP's message (X-Mailer: reportbug
> 3.39ubuntu3). .. He was using reportbug. Unfortunately, that
> program does not report bugs...
>
> Matthew Flaschen

IIANM, musicman was employing irony and sarcasm.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Charlie Kravetz 01-14-2009 05:06 PM

reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:32:13 -0500
John Hawkinson <jhawk@mit.edu> wrote:

> Package: reportbug
> Version: 3.39ubuntu3
> Severity: important
>
> reportbug's default configuration attempts to send mail via a system
> that does not accept mail, throwing away bug reports.
>
> reportbug ships with a reportbug.conf:
>
> # Use this to enable the internal MTA (bypassing /usr/sbin/sendmail)
> # smtphost localhost
> #
> # You can also specify a port other than 25
> smtphost fiordland.ubuntu.com
>
> Allowing it to try send mail through there, I get:
>
> Connecting to fiordland.ubuntu.com via SMTP...
> SMTP send failure: {'ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com': (554, '5.7.1
> <ubuntu-users@ lists.ubuntu.com>: Relay access denied'),
> 'jhawk@MIT.EDU': (554, '5.7.1 <jhawk@M IT.EDU>: Relay access denied')}
> Wrote bug report to /tmp/reportbug-cron-20090112-31681-PtWxSC
>
> This is not really an acceptable set of defaults. This machine
> has a valid SMTP configuration of its own, but even when reportbug
> was told it could use it, it chose not to.
>
> -- Package-specific info:
> ** Environment settings:
> INTERFACE="text"
>
> ** /home/jhawk/.reportbugrc:
> reportbug_version "3.39ubuntu3"
> mode advanced
> ui text
> realname "John Hawkinson"
> email "jhawk@MIT.EDU"
> no-check-uid
>
> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: lenny/sid
> APT prefers hardy-updates
> APT policy: (500, 'hardy-updates'), (500, 'hardy-security'), (500,
> 'hardy') Architecture: i386 (i686)
>
> Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-22-server (SMP w/1 CPU core)
> Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
> Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
>
> Versions of packages reportbug depends on:
> ii apt 0.7.9ubuntu17.1 Advanced front-end for
> dpkg ii python 2.5.2-0ubuntu1 An interactive
> high-level object-o ii python-central 0.6.7ubuntu0.1
> register and build utility for Pyt
>
> reportbug recommends no packages.
>
> -- no debconf information

Can you file this on launchpad? I know the system sent it to the users
mailing list, but it never gets worked if it stays here.

The right place to file bug reports is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu

That will give the developers a chance to see if they can fix it.

Thanks.

--
Charlie Kravetz

John Hawkinson 01-16-2009 03:50 AM

reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work

Charlie Kravetz <cjk@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote on Wed, 14 Jan 2009
at 11:06:57 -0700 in <20090114110657.355f4654@teamcharliesangels.com> :

> Can you file this on launchpad? I know the system sent it to the users
> mailing list, but it never gets worked if it stays here.

Despite comments suggesting this was unwise, I went to do that.

It appears to be a duplicate of

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/reportbug/+bug/123414

fixing in 3.47ubuntu1. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this,
since I thought I had properly searched for it. Evidently not.

Sorry for the noise.

--jhawk@mit.edu
John Hawkinson