Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Matthew Flaschen

Default reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work

John Hawkinson wrote:
> Package: reportbug
> Version: 3.39ubuntu3
> Severity: important
>
> reportbug's default configuration attempts to send mail via a system
> that does not accept mail, throwing away bug reports.

I'm pretty sure this is an improvement. Currently, there are still a
lot of people that think it is possible to report Ubuntu bugs through
reportbug. If the SMTP server is disabled, they will receive no formal
or informal response to their submissions, which will lead them faster
to Launchpad (the real bug report system).

Now granted, it would help if Bug 31508
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/31508) were fixed after almost 2
years. But that's clearly not the only way...

Matt Flaschen

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> John Hawkinson wrote:
>> Package: reportbug
>> Version: 3.39ubuntu3
>> Severity: important
>>
>> reportbug's default configuration attempts to send mail via a system
>> that does not accept mail, throwing away bug reports.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is an improvement. Currently, there are still a
> lot of people that think it is possible to report Ubuntu bugs through
> reportbug. If the SMTP server is disabled, they will receive no formal
> or informal response to their submissions, which will lead them faster
> to Launchpad (the real bug report system).
>
> Now granted, it would help if Bug 31508
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/31508) were fixed after almost 2
> years. But that's clearly not the only way...

It's actually much more than two years. The original bug got "lost" when
launchpad was created...