Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 AM
musicman

Default reportbug tries to relay through fiordland.ubuntu.com which does not work

did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this reportbug
function...

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM, John Hawkinson <jhawk@mit.edu> wrote:
> Package: reportbug
> Version: 3.39ubuntu3
> Severity: important
>
> reportbug's default configuration attempts to send mail via a system
> that does not accept mail, throwing away bug reports.
>
> reportbug ships with a reportbug.conf:
>
> # Use this to enable the internal MTA (bypassing /usr/sbin/sendmail)
> # smtphost localhost
> #
> # You can also specify a port other than 25
> smtphost fiordland.ubuntu.com
>
> Allowing it to try send mail through there, I get:
>
> Connecting to fiordland.ubuntu.com via SMTP...
> SMTP send failure: {'ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com': (554, '5.7.1 <ubuntu-users@
> lists.ubuntu.com>: Relay access denied'), 'jhawk@MIT.EDU': (554, '5.7.1 <jhawk@M
> IT.EDU>: Relay access denied')}
> Wrote bug report to /tmp/reportbug-cron-20090112-31681-PtWxSC
>
> This is not really an acceptable set of defaults. This machine
> has a valid SMTP configuration of its own, but even when reportbug
> was told it could use it, it chose not to.
>
> -- Package-specific info:
> ** Environment settings:
> INTERFACE="text"
>
> ** /home/jhawk/.reportbugrc:
> reportbug_version "3.39ubuntu3"
> mode advanced
> ui text
> realname "John Hawkinson"
> email "jhawk@MIT.EDU"
> no-check-uid
>
> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: lenny/sid
> APT prefers hardy-updates
> APT policy: (500, 'hardy-updates'), (500, 'hardy-security'), (500, 'hardy')
> Architecture: i386 (i686)
>
> Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-22-server (SMP w/1 CPU core)
> Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)
> Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
>
> Versions of packages reportbug depends on:
> ii apt 0.7.9ubuntu17.1 Advanced front-end for dpkg
> ii python 2.5.2-0ubuntu1 An interactive high-level object-o
> ii python-central 0.6.7ubuntu0.1 register and build utility for Pyt
>
> reportbug recommends no packages.
>
> -- no debconf information

because "The Wire" makes "Law and Order" or "CSI" look like an episode
of "The Brady Bunch."

http://www.stuffjournalistslike.com/2008/12/312-the-wire.html

Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Matthew Flaschen

musicman wrote:
> did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this reportbug
> function...

Check the headers of the OP's message (X-Mailer: reportbug 3.39ubuntu3).
.. He was using reportbug. Unfortunately, that program does not
report bugs...

Matthew Flaschen

Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Derek Broughton

John Hawkinson wrote:

> musicman:
>
>> did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this reportbug
>> function...
>
> reportbug tries to send email to ubuntu-users. If bug reports
> don't belong on ubuntu-users, someone should fix reportbug
> not to do that!
>
> Matthew Flaschen:
>
> | I'm pretty sure this is an improvement.

I agree. Not much of one, but still an improvement.

> | Currently, there are still a
> | lot of people that think it is possible to report Ubuntu bugs through
> | reportbug. If the SMTP server is disabled, they will receive no formal
> | or informal response to their submissions, which will lead them faster
> | to Launchpad (the real bug report system).
>
> If you shouldn't use reportbug, then reportbug should be replaced

Absolutely it should. Absolutely, they've claimed multiple times to have a
fix (either to remove it or make it work). Reportbug has NEVER worked on
Ubuntu, and I've grown tired of feeding the bug report.

> with a wrapper script that says "don't use reportbug, do <whatever>."
> It's crazy to have an installed tool that claims to report a bug
> if thee's no such thing.

Yes it is. But the poor developers insist that its a vital tool.

> I have no idea how Ubuntu bugs are really supposed to be handled, and
> if reportbug really is deprecated. But if it is, it had better say so!

Launchpad, it is, and it should.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> musicman wrote:
>> did you report it to the bug fixers? I've heard there's this reportbug
>> function...
>>

> Check the headers of the OP's message (X-Mailer: reportbug 3.39ubuntu3).
> .. He was using reportbug. Unfortunately, that program does not
> report bugs...

<sarcasm alert> :-)