Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Ray Parrish

Default removal of midbrowser

don fisher wrote:
> I have just installed ubuntu 8.10. In the past when running Thunderbird,
> I could click on a link in an email message, and the link would open in
> FireFox. Now it opens in midbrowser. Using synaptic, I removed
> midbrowser. Then when I clicked on the link nothing happened.
>
> How does one tell Thunderbird to use FireFox rather than midbrowser?
>
> Thanks
> don

Start Firefox, select Edit, Preferences, on the Preferences dialog
select the Advanced tab. Near the bottom of that tab is a checkbox that
says "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser". Check
that, and then over to the right is a button which says "Check Now".
Click that and if it asks if you want to make Firefox the default
browser, click Yes.

Here is another method you can use in terminal, on the command line type -

update-alternatives --install x-www-browser
/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser /usr/bin/firefox

Then, use
update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /usr/bin/firefox
or
update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Take your pick.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Ray Parrish

don fisher wrote:
> Ray,
>
> I really appreciate your reply to my, at time, newbie questions. Let
> me explain a few more details. The first is that I am trying to change
> from Fedora to Ubuntu. So many of the tasks I previously new how to
> perform changed or gained aliases:-) Part of the adventure I guess.
>
> I have had to install the 32-bit version of firefox in my home
> directory. I did this because some of the codecs for online videos
> only exist in 32 bit formats.
>
> Along the lines I found:
> a) The links from /etc/alternatives are:
> /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser -> /usr/bin/firefox-3.0
> b) The links from /usr/bin are:
> /usr/bin/firefox -> /usr/bin/firefox-3.0 ->
> /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5/firefox.sh
>
> So both paths end up at /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.5/firefox.sh.
>
> But when I click on a link contained in a Thunderbird email, it still
> opens midbrowser.
>
> My ~/.mozilla directory, as shown below, does contain an entry for
> midbrowser:
>
> .mozilla>ls
> appreg dfisher/ firefox@ mozver.dat plugins/
> default/ extensions/ midbrowser/ pluginreg.dat
>
> There appears to be something within Thunderbird that wants to use the
> midbrowser rather than the firefox entries. I cannot find anything in
> Thunderbird that would change that setting. I am not even aware of how
> I enabled it. Maybe one of the upgrades did it by default?
>
> Thanks again for your help. I really have most things working. Only
> problems with Network Manager and Sound remain. But there have been
> many other posts on these subjects so I assume they are being fixed.
>
> don
>
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>> don fisher wrote:
>>> I have just installed ubuntu 8.10. In the past when running
>>> Thunderbird, I could click on a link in an email message, and the
>>> link would open in FireFox. Now it opens in midbrowser. Using
>>> synaptic, I removed midbrowser. Then when I clicked on the link
>>> nothing happened.
>>>
>>> How does one tell Thunderbird to use FireFox rather than midbrowser?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> don
>>>
>> Start Firefox, select Edit, Preferences, on the Preferences dialog
>> select the Advanced tab. Near the bottom of that tab is a checkbox
>> that says "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser".
>> Check that, and then over to the right is a button which says "Check
>> Now". Click that and if it asks if you want to make Firefox the
>> default browser, click Yes.
>>
>> Here is another method you can use in terminal, on the command line
>> type -
>>
>> update-alternatives --install x-www-browser
>> /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser /usr/bin/firefox
>>
>> Then, use
>> update-alternatives --set x-www-browser /usr/bin/firefox
>> or
>> update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

> [...]
Hello again,

LOL! You're a noob??? I've only been using Linux for about six months
now, after years of suffering the problems of Windows... I have been
tearing into the guts of Ubuntu every day however, and have been
learning quite a bit.

Also, I'm pretty good at using Google, and a search there on "ubuntu
thunderbird http link" has put me onto a thread that contains what I
think may be the answer for you.

Create a text file and name it user.js and put the following lines in it -

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
/home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/

Your reply to me was addressed directly to me instead of the group, so
I'm adding the group back into the loop on this. I don't know if it was
your intention to exclude them, but it would be better to keep
discussions in the group.

Also, you've top posted your reply, which makes it harder to follow the
flow of the thread. In this group it is mandated that all replies go at
the bottom, and many people on here will complain if you continue to top
post.

I hope this solves your problem.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Ray Parrish

don fisher wrote:
> [...]

LOL! You're a noob??? I've only been using Linux for about six months
now, after years of suffering the problems of Windows... I have been
tearing into the guts of Ubuntu every day however, and have been
learning quite a bit.

Also, I'm pretty good at using Google, and a search there on "ubuntu
thunderbird http link" has put me onto a thread that contains what I
think may be the answer for you.

Create a text file and name it user.js and put the following lines in it -

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
/home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/

WOOPS! I realized right after clicking the Send button, that I had
forgotten about your non-standard path to Firefox. Please amend the
paths in the user.js file to "/usr/bin/firefox-3.0" to make it work on
your system.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
don fisher

Ray Parrish wrote:
> [...]
>
> Also, I'm pretty good at using Google, and a search there on "ubuntu
> thunderbird http link" has put me onto a thread that contains what I
> think may be the answer for you.
>
> Create a text file and name it user.js and put the following lines in it -
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
>
> Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
> already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
> /home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/
>
> WOOPS! I realized right after clicking the Send button, that I had
> forgotten about your non-standard path to Firefox. Please amend the
> paths in the user.js file to "/usr/bin/firefox-3.0" to make it work on

Ray,

That worked great. Thanks for the assist. My background more physical
science than computer science. Maybe you could point me to a dictionary
that explains LOL and noob?

Thanks again
don

Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
"Greg Michalski"

> [...]
> > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
> >
> > Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
> > already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
> > /home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/
> >
> > WOOPS! I realized right after clicking the Send button, that I had
> > forgotten about your non-standard path to Firefox. Please amend the
> > paths in the user.js file to "/usr/bin/firefox-3.0" to make it work on
> > your system.
> >
> > I hope this solves your problem.
> >
> > Later, Ray Parrish
> >
> Ray,
>
> That worked great. Thanks for the assist. My background more physical
> science than computer science. Maybe you could point me to a dictionary

http://www.qq.co.za/chatterms.aspx is the first link google provided. "noob"
isn't listed though - just pronounce it - noo-b (newbie). I believe
there's a lot more than that list even has, just ask a standard 13 year old
with a cell phone in the middle of a text message...

Greg
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury,
and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt (Author)
www.distinctperspectives.com

Old 01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Ray Parrish

don fisher wrote:
> [...]
>> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
>> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
>>
>> Then save into your Thunderbird profile folder. The right folder will
>> already have a file called prefs.js. On my machine this path is
>> /home/ray/.mozilla-thunderbird/jta97xpo.default/
>>
>> WOOPS! I realized right after clicking the Send button, that I had
>> forgotten about your non-standard path to Firefox. Please amend the
>> paths in the user.js file to "/usr/bin/firefox-3.0" to make it work on
>> your system.
>>
>> I hope this solves your problem.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Ray,
>
> That worked great. Thanks for the assist. My background more physical
> science than computer science. Maybe you could point me to a dictionary

LOL! Yeah, I have trouble with a lot of the anacronyms I see in the
groups at times, and think people should make a practice of putting
their full wording right after them in brackets the first time they use
them in a post. 8-) But then they wouldn't save any keystrokes, and I
guess that's the whole idea in the first place.

Now I know where to go to look them up, thanks to the link provided in
the other post.

I'm glad you're sorted out.