Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 AM
mark Pyles

Default VLC and sound

Hi everyone:

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
I have a problem where my VLC media player doesn't always have sound
when I go to use it. For example, if I have been using my computer for a
while and open VLC to watch a DVD I get no sound. Not until I reboot my
computer and start VLC after my computer reboots that the sound works
fine. Any ideas as to the cause of that? Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Ray Parrish

mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
> I have a problem where my VLC media player doesn't always have sound
> when I go to use it. For example, if I have been using my computer for a
> while and open VLC to watch a DVD I get no sound. Not until I reboot my
> computer and start VLC after my computer reboots that the sound works
> fine. Any ideas as to the cause of that? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Have a look in syslog with System Log Viewer and see if you find any
messages of the following type -

May 3 20:50:34 mark-desktop pulseaudio[5860]: module-alsa-sink.c: Error
opening PCM device front:0: Device or resource busy

May 3 20:53:00 mark-desktop pulseaudio[5860]: sink-input.c: Failed to
create sink input: too many inputs per sink.

These are caused by pulseaudio conflicting with alsa, and as far as I've
been able to determine by following the bug reports, the only fix for it
has been to disable pulseaudio.

On my system it manifests itself as an inability to play videos in
Totem, and occasionally on boot up it will have started having problems
already, and my menus will not drop into view for use. the only option I
am left with at that point is to power down with the power button.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows

Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Roger Benham

I have had the same problem ever since 8.04 came out. The only way to get sound was to reboot. Now the situation is worse in that I get no sound on any player all the time.
Roger.

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger--

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 07:17 PM, mark Pyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
> I have a problem where my VLC media player doesn't always have sound
> when I go to use it. For example, if I have been using my computer for a
> while and open VLC to watch a DVD I get no sound. Not until I reboot my
> computer and start VLC after my computer reboots that the sound works
> fine. Any ideas as to the cause of that? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Instead of rebooting, try this from a terminal next time you lose sound:

sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils reset

Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 AM
mark Pyles

Hi Roger:

Oh gosh! I* hope they fix it! Thanks.

Mark

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 AM
mark Pyles

Hi;

Unfortunately, that command didn't work for me. I sure do thank you for
your help as always!!!

Mark