Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Vlc won't play at normal speed on Intrepid 8.10

Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've got vlc installed on both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, but it won't
> play DVD's at normal speed.
>
> Vlc plays ok on other distro's on this machine, including Kubuntu Hardy.
>
> When I start Vlc on Intrepid, it plays for about a half second then stops. if
> I move the bar to move further on in the movie, it plays about a half second
> of sound, and video, then stops again. At the bottom of the window there is a
> button to adjust playback speed. If I slow the speed down, the dvd will play
> in slow-mo, without stalling. At the moment I have it set to 0.47%, but if I
> increase the playback speed the movie just comes to a stop.
>
> I've got Kaffeine, and Xine on my Kubuntu Intrepid install, and they play the
> same dvd's ok, and on the Ubuntu Intrepid install, I have Totem, and Ogle
> installed, and no problems with the same dvd's there either. It just seems to
> be a problem with vlc on both Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10.
>
> Anyone any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
>
> I've never experienced this before, so any suggestions are most gratefully
> received.
>
> Nigel.

I have a DVD running on my laptop 8.10 VLC in fullscreen and living
color. It is not stopping. So perhaps you have a bad DVD?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Nigel Henry

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 00:43, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I've got vlc installed on both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, but it
> > won't play DVD's at normal speed.
> >
> > Vlc plays ok on other distro's on this machine, including Kubuntu Hardy.
> >
> > When I start Vlc on Intrepid, it plays for about a half second then
> > stops. if I move the bar to move further on in the movie, it plays about
> > a half second of sound, and video, then stops again. At the bottom of the
> > window there is a button to adjust playback speed. If I slow the speed
> > down, the dvd will play in slow-mo, without stalling. At the moment I
> > have it set to 0.47%, but if I increase the playback speed the movie just
> > comes to a stop.
> >
> > I've got Kaffeine, and Xine on my Kubuntu Intrepid install, and they play
> > the same dvd's ok, and on the Ubuntu Intrepid install, I have Totem, and
> > Ogle installed, and no problems with the same dvd's there either. It just
> > seems to be a problem with vlc on both Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10.
> >
> > Anyone any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
> >
> > I've never experienced this before, so any suggestions are most
> > gratefully received.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I have a DVD running on my laptop 8.10 VLC in fullscreen and living
> color. It is not stopping. So perhaps you have a bad DVD?
>

> Karl

Hi Karl.

I know you have vlc working fine on your Intrepid install, and there is no
problem with the dvd media, as they play ok with other players on Intrepid
(Kaffeine, Xine, Totem, and Ogle), and also on other distros on the same
machine, and that includes vlc on the other distros.

For some weird reason they wont play on Intrepid using vlc, unless I slow down
the playback speed to below 50%, then everything is in slow-mo, both sound
and vision, but at least the dvd then runs ok.

Vlc works just fine on Hardy 8.04 on the same machine.

Puzzling.

Nigel.