Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Julio Rodriguez

Default Ubuntu installation question

I have attempted to install Ubuntu on an IBM ThinkPad T21 with no sucess. The laptop is currently running Windows 2000 professional. I would like to replace it with Ubuntu. When I boot from the CD I get the following error message: /dev/null: Permission denied.

*
Please help me complete this install. I used the same CD on my XP desktop and I can run Ubuntu with no problems.
*
I hope to hear from someone soon.
*
Julio

Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Julio Rodriguez wrote:
> I have attempted to install Ubuntu on an IBM ThinkPad T21 with no sucess.
> The laptop is currently running Windows 2000 professional. I would like to
> replace it with Ubuntu. When I boot from the CD I get the following error
> message: /dev/null: Permission denied.
>
> Please help me complete this install. I used the same CD on my XP desktop
> and I can run Ubuntu with no problems.
>
> I hope to hear from someone soon.
>
> Julio

Hi Julio, please tell us which install CD your using. I hope it is a
LiveCD for at least Hardy.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
NoOp

On 01/12/2009 03:11 PM, Julio Rodriguez wrote:
> I have attempted to install Ubuntu on an IBM ThinkPad T21 with no sucess.
> The laptop is currently running Windows 2000 professional. I would like to
> replace it with Ubuntu. When I boot from the CD I get the following error
> message: /dev/null: Permission denied.
>
> Please help me complete this install. I used the same CD on my XP desktop
> and I can run Ubuntu with no problems.
>
> I hope to hear from someone soon.
>
> Julio

What CD specifically? liveCD? AlternateCD? 8.10, 8.04 etc.

I have an A21M & an T21 and both run Ubuntu just fine... well the T21
did until it recently crapped with the Thinkpad 'Blink-of-Death'
motherboard problem.

Here is what I recommend: burn the Alternate 8.04.1 CD and use that to
perform the install:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/
http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.iso

You _can_ use 8.10, but I found that 8.10 on the x21's seemed to act
like Windows; meaning that the machine seemed to get slower day-by-day.
I finally had to remove 8.10 from the machine and reverted back to
8.04.01. Note: I also dual-boot to Win2KP on the A21M (w/only 384Mbytes
of memory) and the two coexist just fine on that machine.

Give that a try & if you need added assistance w/x21 let me know and I
can walk you through the install from BIOS settings to final install.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
"julio Rodriguez"

I am very new to this. I down load an iso image and made a bootable CD.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:31 PM
"julio Rodriguez"

Sorry now I understand. It's a 8.10 the latest version